How important is Analytical Writing?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

p_galan

How important is Analytical Writing?

Post by p_galan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello to everyone,

recently I took GRE and I am not absolutely satisfied with my grades. First of all let me tell you some things about me. I am from Greece and I am studying civil engineering. I would like to pursue a Master of Engineering in a top American University (like Berkeley). In the examination I scored Quant=790 Verbal=530 (which I think are good scores for an engineer and a non- native speaker) but I scored 3.5 (unexpectedly!) in Analytical Writing. Do you think that my grade in Analytical writing is very low so I need to retake the test?? (Take into account that in TOEFL I scored 110/120 with 28/30 in the writing section).

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance.

quizivex

Re: How important is Analytical Writing?

Post by quizivex » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi p_galan, welcome to the forum. The GRE writing section has come up in many discussions on past threads and some of it may help you. I suggest you used the "Search" feature to try to locate them:

Here is one of the threads:
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... ing#p13746

p_galan

Post by p_galan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:17 am

Quizivex thank you very much for your reply. I looked at the thread you proposed me but in this topic one member wrote 4 in analytical writing and the others said that this score was fine, do you think the same for a 3.5 score in writing?? I am afraid it is very low...I am asking if you think that I should retake the test. THANK YOU AGAIN! :D

doom

Post by doom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:08 pm

in my non-expert opinion, I think you're fine. Your toefl scores are more important.