any ideas on the placement exam(physics)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tengao

any ideas on the placement exam(physics)

Post by tengao » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:33 am

hi, guys.
As a incoming graduate student, I'm informed that a placement exam will be given before the coming semester to determine the strengths and weaknesses in various areas of physics. The exam is for advising purposes only and the results will be used by the advisor to decide which courses would best serve the student's interest.

Does this test matter?
I have no idea whether it is like the sub test(with multiple-choice questions only).
Which materials can help me prepare for the test?
your thoughts? thx :wink:

grae313

Re: any ideas on the placement exam(physics)

Post by grae313 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:59 pm

tengao wrote:hi, guys.
As a incoming graduate student, I'm informed that a placement exam will be given before the coming semester to determine the strengths and weaknesses in various areas of physics. The exam is for advising purposes only and the results will be used by the advisor to decide which courses would best serve the student's interest.

Does this test matter?
I have no idea whether it is like the sub test(with multiple-choice questions only).
Which materials can help me prepare for the test?
your thoughts? thx :wink:

There should be a wealth on information on your school's placement exam within the resources of your school. Ask around, I bet there is information on a website, and your second-year classmates can tell you how they prepared. It's important because you don't want to have to repeat any courses unless you really don't know the material.

tengao

Re: any ideas on the placement exam(physics)

Post by tengao » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:26 pm

grae313 wrote:

There should be a wealth on information on your school's placement exam within the resources of your school. Ask around, I bet there is information on a website, and your second-year classmates can tell you how they prepared. It's important because you don't want to have to repeat any courses unless you really don't know the material.