Mechanical Engg to theoretical astrophysics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

blackcat007

Mechanical Engg to theoretical astrophysics

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:23 am

i am presently doing bachelors in Mechanical engg, in 4th semester (out of 8 ) in india. i am very keen to do a masters in theoretical astrophysics and then PhD. i will be writing General as well as phy gre. i have done exceptionally in math (1st sem 9/10, 2nd sem 10/10 and 3rd sem 9/10) i have also done very good in phy as a result i also have a good reputation in the math and phy dept in addition to my mechanical engg dept where i did exceptionally in topics like fluid mechanics and applied thermodynamics.i will get reco's from these depts. in addition to these i will be attending summer school on astrophysics and cosmology in this coming summer. i also have done some creations in robotics (stood first in the annual robotics show) and also stood first in the paper presentation event.

with all these and a good gre score , will the top universities consider my application in physics dept since i am from an engineering background?

darkmav

Re: Mechanical Engg to theoretical astrophysics

Post by darkmav » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:43 am

Which school are you from?

I suppose if you get recs, have projects then you're good to go (with a good GRE performance of course).

blackcat007

Re: Mechanical Engg to theoretical astrophysics

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 am

darkmav wrote:Which school are you from?

I suppose if you get recs, have projects then you're good to go (with a good GRE performance of course).
i am from indian school of mines university dhanbad.