Need advice

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sravanskarri

Need advice

Post by sravanskarri » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:10 am

Hello,
I am a Masters graduate in Electrical Engineering from UT Alrington, interested in doing MS+Phd or Phd in Quantum communications/Information theory. I had some exposure to research in classical communication theory.
Though I do not have any publications,I did some good work in my thesis. I am working in a well known company in communication systems as an engineer and wish to join as a full time/part time student some time in a couple of years based on my financial position.

Apart from some good preparation for an entrance exam for IITs and some considerable exposure in solving problems, I do not have any academic preparation in Physics. I am just refreshing what I learnt now.From my search online, I found that A Physics GRE can add to my chances of getting into a good school and the program I wish to join.
However, I am in a little confusion as to when and what departments I can apply as this program is rare to find except in good schools.I graduated in May 2008 and have modest GPA s and GRE scores:(3.67/640+790+3.5).I badly need some good advice on this as I do not want to delay my preparation for the PGRE. Highly appreciate any help in advance

trupti

Re: Need advice

Post by trupti » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:05 am

Hi
I am also from engg background and gave my pgre in nov 2007. I didn't manage to get a stellar score but what I found is this: If you had done good prepartion for IIT JEE classical mechanics part of pgre should be quite easy and the good news is that classical mechanics has as much as 20% weightage. Also basic questions on electrodynamics and thermodynamics shouldn't be a big problem. Optics is also manageable with a quick revision of what you must have learned in 10+2 class.
But what you will have to worry about most is quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. These are very new topics and would require good amount of time to study. As far as atomic and nuclear physics are concerned, though some parts of them will be new for you you can easily study them. They are pretty easy. I would say that you look at a few pgre papers and see if the questions asked are familiar to you. Also since you had studied for IIT JEE you must have a good practice for multiple choice questions. By analyzing a couple of pgre papers you can easily find out your weak areas and start working on them. As far as list of books to be studied, you can find them mentioned somewhere on this site or maybe elsewhere on the net.

sravanskarri

Re: Need advice

Post by sravanskarri » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Thank you very much trupti, that helps