practice questions or test papers.

blackcat007

practice questions or test papers.

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:07 am

the market and the net are flooded with practice tests and questions for general GRE, but i can hardly find any for Phy GRE.. can anyone tell me where to get some good sample tests or practice questions .?? even a book.. will do.

BOND1CHAMP

Re: practice questions or test papers.

Post by BOND1CHAMP » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:41 am

Yes u are right . I too want the same . I found only a few physics GRE questions but that too are non-original and outdated .Please ..anybody having a link or links ......

marten

Post by marten » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:02 am

Practice tests are available from several different places.

This is a good start,

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1057

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 am

This has been discussed to death here. Both of you should be ashamed of your google skills. There is one sample test that can be found at the ets website, and three old tests running around the net in many places. One place is here: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~twiki/bin/v ... EResources (scroll to the bottom). Once you've taken the practice tests, find worked solutions to each and every problem here: http://grephysics.net/

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:45 am

Thank you princess. :) but i have already seen them many days ago.. i was looking for something new.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:28 pm

blackcat007 wrote:Thank you princess. :) but i have already seen them many days ago.. i was looking for something new.
Ah, well then you should specify these things in your original question. To answer your new question, this has been discussed to death and you should be ashamed of your google skills :wink: . These are the only official practice tests available. As for other unofficial practice problems, there are many threads here with that information, including people's opinions on resources like "The Purple Book," "3,000 Solved Problems in Physics" and Shaum's Outlines... Check amazon. Hope that helps.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:14 am

Google skill :) hehe

firstly even if the topic has been discussed.. i don't see any harm to ask it again.. instead of wasting time on looking up at all the previous questions and replies and looking at the links of google ( your so called "google skill" :wink: ) i prefer posting a question here.. incase you find my or any other's question already discussed "to death" (gosh!! such metophor :o ) .. then please care to give me the link to them.. ..

thank you for the name of the books.. i will try to find them.. but it might not be possible from amazon, coz in indian currency its exorbitant...

perplexity

Post by perplexity » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:04 am

blackcat007:

I think the point was that if you want the information, you should be willing to look through the older posts where it was discussed. Expecting someone else to look through old posts to find links to give you here makes you amazingly lazy and slightly offensive.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 pm

perplexity wrote:blackcat007:

I think the point was that if you want the information, you should be willing to look through the older posts where it was discussed. Expecting someone else to look through old posts to find links to give you here makes you amazingly lazy and slightly offensive.
exactly. blackcat, you say you don't want to waste your time doing your own research for your own future, but you want me to waste my time to find the information you need. This forum is here as an archive of information, and you should use it as such. In every forum across the internet, it is extremely bad form to ask questions that have readily available answers in previous posts.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 pm

perplexity wrote:blackcat007:

no no.. i never meant to offend anyone here.. although i can't comment about laziness :D . but my point is.. like grae313 there are many who are old members , who have seen and posted and taken part in many important discussions, for them locating a post that needs some advice is not a problem..but for a newbie like me in this forum.. it takes a hell lot of time... thus i feel that the entire efficiency would increase.. if some older members helped the newer members to locate their topics of interest..

kobayashi_maru

Post by kobayashi_maru » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:51 am

blackcat007 wrote:thus i feel that the entire efficiency would increase.. if some older members helped the newer members to locate their topics of interest..
Sure, the 'entire efficiency' would increase, assuming grae and perp and everyone else were just sitting idle, waiting for a question to answer. But we've all got stuff to do; the fact that they've taken time out to answer the question a first time should be enough.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:11 am

kobayashi_maru wrote:
blackcat007 wrote:thus i feel that the entire efficiency would increase.. if some older members helped the newer members to locate their topics of interest..
Sure, the 'entire efficiency' would increase, assuming grae and perp and everyone else were just sitting idle, waiting for a question to answer. But we've all got stuff to do; the fact that they've taken time out to answer the question a first time should be enough.

ya as if you people are the only people in the entire cosmos doing some work.. and we are sitting back flying kites .. :lol:

if you are so busy.. then please don't fritter around here.. go solve your differential eqns..

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:56 pm

blackcat007 wrote:
kobayashi_maru wrote:

ya as if you people are the only people in the entire cosmos doing some work.. and we are sitting back flying kites .. :lol:

if you are so busy.. then please don't fritter around here.. go solve your differential eqns..
The point is, it's YOUR future, so take control of it. The threads I am referring to are not conversations I participated in, they were old threads when I got here. I did my own research and found them.

marten

Post by marten » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Also, by looking through the site to find information, (most of it is actually very well organized and easy to find thanks to Grant) it is possible to find more then you were originally looking for.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:17 pm

One important thing to note when browsing old threads is not to judge a thread by the "topic title." Most threads, especially ones with a large number of replies, have completely changed focus one or more times from the original question or subject matter of the first post...

Therefore, I suggest that if you want an answer to a specific question or you want to see a discussion pertaining to a particular topic, that you utilize the search feature for pertinent keywords, rather than look for a thread with the right title on the main forum pages.

nihavd

Post by nihavd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:28 am

Talk about digression.....