Where are the (innumerable) Chinese?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

vicente

Where are the (innumerable) Chinese?

Post by vicente » Sat May 31, 2008 6:04 pm

It seems like most of the international students in physics are Chinese, yet most of the people here are American, with a couple Europeans, Indians, and Canadians sprinkled about. I mean, a lot of Europeans and Indians don't have perfect English but they're still posting here, so where are the Chinese on PhysicsGRE?

Maybe there's a bizarro or supersymmetric Chinese forum where they discuss and share every physics GRE problem, unhindered by copyright laws because there, electrons are bosons and photons and gluons are fermions. Where there's a Chinese version of quizivex, RG, fermiguy, grae313, twistor, etc. So they don't have to come all the way here.
Last edited by vicente on Sat May 31, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlenmn

Re: Where are the (innumerable) Chinese?

Post by dlenmn » Sat May 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Perhaps it's for the same reason that there's less anti-matter than matter...

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:57 am

you two are racist and I'm offended.

:lol: :lol:

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Well, we know that some Chinese have special "methods" for preparing for the admission process that aren't always legitimate. So not all of them would use/need a forum like this. I'm guessing lots of legitimate users on physicsgre.com are also chinese but perhaps may not want to identify themselves as such cuz of the reputation that Chinese students have gained over the years. Also, Chinese students tend not to be as fluent in English as other internationals (European, Canadian etc...), so many of them may be using the forum but not posting.

Btw... I can hardly imagine what a Chinese version of RG would be like. And a Chinese version of grae313 could not possibly exist, since she'd rip her own posts apart ;)