Who is moving out of state?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

Who is moving out of state?

Post by grae313 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Who is looking at a big move towards the end of this summer and how are you feeling about it? How are you planning on moving?

I'm going coast to coast--3,000 miles and I thought I'd be nervous but I'm not. I'm just really, really excited. I've already signed a lease for an apartment to move in on August 15th. I'm in the process of selling all of my furniture and random stuff like my PS2, then my boyfriend and I are going to pack the essentials into a little UHaul trailer, hitch it to the back of his compact SUV, and drive. Gas will be about $500, hotels about $200 if we trade off sleeping in the back seat and driving, and the UHaul trailer is about $400. Add in food and it is still cheaper than flying there and shipping our stuff, or renting a moving truck. My cat, however, is going to be miserable for a few days.

How about you?

bestbearblackbear

Re: Who is moving out of state?

Post by bestbearblackbear » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I will be moving out of state as well, but not even close to a coast to coast move. I am curious about your situation with your boyfriend. How long have you been dating? What does he do? What does he plan to do while you are in grad. school? Though these questions may seem off-base, and I would understand if you chose not to answer (or to be general), I feel like they have some legitimacy. I have always approached the idea of grad. school as a solitary journey (at least in my mind, since I have yet to start). You seem to be taking a completely different approach and I am interested in learning more about it. I have a girlfriend who will not be making the trip to grad. school with me for a number of reasons.

excel

Post by excel » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 am

oh wow, you will drive from California to New York, and with a trailer and a cat! That should be an interesting trip! I suppose driving with your boyfriend will make the trip more bearable though.

As for myself, I will pack all my essentials into two suitcases, one small suitcase, and one laptop bag, and hop onto a flight. :mrgreen: I will get rid of anything that does not fit into my suitcases.

VT

Post by VT » Thu May 01, 2008 12:46 am

hahaha, Excel, that is exactly what I am planning to do.

Ren

Post by Ren » Thu May 01, 2008 2:38 am

sounds like a lot of work.

i'll be moving in about a month too, though not for grad school. (i'm applying next year.)
i've been moving every year for the last 5 years,
and everytime i move i have an urge to throw everything away :(

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 am

excel wrote:oh wow, you will drive from California to New York, and with a trailer and a cat! That should be an interesting trip! I suppose driving with your boyfriend will make the trip more bearable though.

As for myself, I will pack all my essentials into two suitcases, one small suitcase, and one laptop bag, and hop onto a flight. :mrgreen: I will get rid of anything that does not fit into my suitcases.

But all of your books!

Geoff Olynyk

Post by Geoff Olynyk » Thu May 01, 2008 11:15 am

Out of state, out of province, out of country...

I'm travelling through Europe this summer (may as well blow all my savings at the same time I quit my job to go to grad school...)

I leave for the trip on May 19 and won't be back until August 10th, which leaves no time to find an apartment. Hence I'm living in the graduate residence for a year. Anyway, it's like 5 times easier to find an apartment when you're already living in the city.

excel

Post by excel » Thu May 01, 2008 11:30 am

jdhooghe wrote:
But all of your books!
By "essentials" I mean books.:mrgreen: More seriously, I agree books are the major issue here. I will selectively carry some basic books like Rudin's real analysis, Vandergraft's numerical analysis, Griffith's quantum, etc., and sell the others. I recently sold all my humanities books and novels. However, if I find the suitcases weigh more than the airlines baggage allowance, I will get rid of more of my clothes rather than books that I want to take...

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu May 01, 2008 12:08 pm

Rudin's real analysis
Useless for physics.

excel

Post by excel » Thu May 01, 2008 12:45 pm

twistor, I am not doing my PhD in physics per se. Real analysis will be useful for me if I end up working with a certain prof. Rudin is a very good book for real analysis (and it is thin :D ).

LucasWillis

Post by LucasWillis » Thu May 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Yeah, I'm moving but not too far. CT is close enough to NJ that I can keep all of my books and all of my clothes. Let us all look forward to some really *** irritating taxes

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 pm

jdhooghe wrote:But all of your books!
This is will be the most expensive part of the move for me. I can't live without the body of texts I've collected over the years -- 3 grad QM books, 2 undergrad QM; 1 grad E&M, 2 undergrad E&M; etc. For homework, research, or curiosity, I use them all for consultation.

I'm also moving from coast to coast. Except I'm moving to Manhattan, so I'll be leaving my car to my little sister. That means I'm going to pay a shipping company to send most of my stuff to myself in NYC.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:48 pm

jdhooghe wrote:
excel wrote:oh wow, you will drive from California to New York, and with a trailer and a cat! That should be an interesting trip! I suppose driving with your boyfriend will make the trip more bearable though.

But all of your books!
haha I know! That was my first thought, too.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:49 pm

christopher3.14 wrote:
jdhooghe wrote:But all of your books!
This is will be the most expensive part of the move for me. I can't live without the body of texts I've collected over the years -- 3 grad QM books, 2 undergrad QM; 1 grad E&M, 2 undergrad E&M; etc. For homework, research, or curiosity, I use them all for consultation.
I use mine to look impressive so I can feel smart infront of my friends

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Thu May 01, 2008 6:33 pm

grae313 wrote:I use mine to look impressive so I can feel smart infront of my friends
I think you may have just gotten to the reason we are all going to grad school.

"Oh hi. Nice to meet you. What do you do?"

"I'm working no my PhD in physics. No big deal."

" :shock: "

excel

Post by excel » Thu May 01, 2008 6:37 pm

:lol:

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 pm

hpharty wrote:"Oh hi. Nice to meet you. What do you do?"

"I'm working no my PhD in physics. No big deal."

" :shock: "
Hmm. I think the more realistic reaction is:

" :| SNORE"

will

Post by will » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm

I think most people are more comfortable with the idea of someone being a Ph.D. student in physics, even if they barely know what physics is. This means that unfortunately, in general, I get the reaction of "Oh really? So what do you work on?"

... And then I have to try and explain. That's when the snoring usually starts.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 am

I overcame that same problem by explaining that I working with Gene Ray and Alex Chiu on an eternal life device that does not conform to the current paradigm of a single day in a 24 hour period.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Fri May 02, 2008 10:54 am

People always ask me what I plan on doing with physics. It is actually quite annoying.

agonizomai

Post by agonizomai » Fri May 02, 2008 10:59 am

I tell people I'm going to be an investment banker. Hehehe.

noojens

Post by noojens » Fri May 02, 2008 11:23 am

How long ago did you sign your lease, Grae? I'm still looking for a place in Ithaca, but I'm afraid by the time I get a chance to make it out there (after graduation, in two weeks) I'll be scraping the bottom of the housing barrel. I'm tempted to just find a place on craigslist, but signing a lease without seeing the place doesn't sit well with me...

vicente

Post by vicente » Fri May 02, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm going to be going to VA. I was planning on driving from Ontario (Canada) but i decided that i didn't really need a car so I booked a flight.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:30 pm

noojens wrote:How long ago did you sign your lease, Grae? I'm still looking for a place in Ithaca, but I'm afraid by the time I get a chance to make it out there (after graduation, in two weeks) I'll be scraping the bottom of the housing barrel. I'm tempted to just find a place on craigslist, but signing a lease without seeing the place doesn't sit well with me...
Yeah I know what you mean. At the visiting weekend I stayed with a graduate student and I actually got an apartment in the same complex that she lives in so I know what the apartments are like, and she said she really liked her place. I signed the lease last month. Someone else in my family went to Cornell for a physics PhD and advised me to secure housing as soon as possible, because the choice places do go quickly.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun May 04, 2008 12:12 am

I'm moving out of state too, but for me it's just a matter of crossing the Delaware river into NJ, about an hour drive.

It must be really tough for you guys moving across the country. By now we've all collected over $1000 in books and $1000 in clothes and lots of important posessions... I can't imagine what people do who aren't gonna drive cross country... do they somehow ship all their stuff? or do they just abandon everything and start over?

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun May 04, 2008 12:17 am

My home is in Oregon, but I go to school in Pennsylvania (and grad school will be in California). Right now I'm thinking I won't get a car for grad school, at least not immediately. In that case, I'll probably either ship my stuff down or try to convince one of my parents to drive down with me from Oregon depending on how much furniture I want to steal. As for getting all my books and stuff from PA back to OR, my parents and brother are all flying out here for my graduation in June, so I'll probably load them all up with an extra bag of checked baggage so I don't have to pay for shipping.

trupti

Post by trupti » Sun May 04, 2008 10:10 am

I will be moving from a big city to a very small village for job. Though I am very excited about the job and got work i was looking for, the idea of moving to a small village sometimes does makes me nervous... And I won't be able to even use my cell phone (which I bought just 3 months back) :( and hardly any TV to watch.

anthonyk

Post by anthonyk » Sun May 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I will be moving from Wisconsin to Florida this summer. I guess my moving depends if I get graduate housing or an apartment. Is anyone else in a similar situation, trying to figure which to choose? I would like graduate housing so I can meet some people and don't have to bring down furniture, but I'm not sure I am super eager to live with 3 strangers. Either way I am planning on driving my car down there and possibly have my parents drive down another vehicle with my stuff if needed (and if they are willing).

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sun May 04, 2008 10:28 pm

grae313 wrote:Who is looking at a big move towards the end of this summer and how are you feeling about it? How are you planning on moving?
I've spent my entire life in the north east/mid atlantic, so I'm going to be leaving it with a mix of excitement and apprehension (though with more of the former than the latter for sure). NH is already a lot different than PA -- I'm already used to not being able to get a decent cheese steak and not having any Wawas around :( , and I've spent time elsewhere, so it's not going to be a huge shock. Madison has a lot of things going for it, and I look forward to discovering them. If I really needed the familiar, I'd have gone to Penn.

As for moving logistics, my brother goes to school in Minnesota, so I'm thinking road trip. I can fit everything I need in to the Subaru, and his stuff will be already out there. It'll be a good time. He's a big football player type, so I'll have him do the heavy lifting :wink:

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Sun May 04, 2008 11:25 pm

dlenmn wrote: I'm already used to not being able to get a decent cheese steak and not having any Wawas around :(
I just moved to Philly a few months ago and I quickly developed a very serious Wawa habit. Those things are everywhere, and getting a sandwich after leaving the bar is incredible.

Admiralrewd

Post by Admiralrewd » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 am

I'm going from Baltimore, MD to Honolulu, HI. That's like, 5k miles?

marten

Post by marten » Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 am

trupti wrote:I will be moving from a big city to a very small village for job. Though I am very excited about the job and got work i was looking for, the idea of moving to a small village sometimes does makes me nervous... And I won't be able to even use my cell phone (which I bought just 3 months back) :( and hardly any TV to watch.
Where is this small village you're moving to?

trupti

Post by trupti » Thu May 08, 2008 1:13 pm

I am int'l student. The village is in india. I can't use cell phone because i will be going to a radio observatory (where i will be doing a lot of engineering and not astronomy)

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm

I will be travelling an hour and a half down Interstate 5 so there! Na na na na na naaaa

\reply
I'm going to Princeton

\hangs head and cries

freefallout

Post by freefallout » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

to the people moving to cornell: I'm not familiar with the neighbourhoods around there, and would like some advice about where to live

what's a good area to live in? I define good as: on the cheaper side, close to campus (walking/biking/bus), not too undergraduate/fratty, but walking distance to debauchery.

Any guidance is appreciated.

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed May 14, 2008 6:32 pm

freefallout wrote:to the people moving to cornell: I'm not familiar with the neighbourhoods around there, and would like some advice about where to live

what's a good area to live in? I define good as: on the cheaper side, close to campus (walking/biking/bus), not too undergraduate/fratty, but walking distance to debauchery.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Here is the info I've largely been going off of. It's the engineering student handbook, written and updated every year or two by students, and it has lots of useful information about all sorts of stuff (even for physicists :D ).

I'm visiting Ithaca next week, and looking at a bunch of different places. Mostly I'm looking in the downtown area - I get the impression it's close to most of the commercial stuff, not too far from collegetown where the undergrad bar/party scene seems to be, and within 10-15 minute walking distance from campus.

I'll let you know what I find out next week though, when I have a chance to check it out in person. :)

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed May 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Well, I'm in Ithaca at the moment, and I pretty much confirmed what I had read: for people like you and me, the best neighborhood is downtown. It's more residential and less fratty, pretty close to the Commons (where you'll find a bunch of bars and restaurants and coffee shops), certainly cheaper than Collegetown, and still within a ten to fifteen minute walk of campus (unfortunately, the walk from downtown is straight uphill - between the Commons and the engineering quad is maybe 400 feet of elevation gain).

For a price ballpark: I just signed a lease on a 1BR halfway up the hill, a nice place with a recently redone kitchen/bathroom and good lighting for ~$850/mo when you take utilities into consideration. Not the nicest place in town, or the cheapest, but I'm happy with it.

PM me if you have specific questions about neighborhoods or whatever - there's a small chance I could check a place out for you while I'm here, or at least give you an idea of the neighborhood it's in. Best of luck.

freefallout

Post by freefallout » Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 pm

noojens, are you back from your visit? any updates/opinions on the housing situation? I'm still looking around.

freefallout

Post by freefallout » Thu May 22, 2008 7:34 pm

wow, i'm special...I totally didn't see that you had responded yesterday.

-- anyway, thanks for the info. I have narrowed it down to a couple of places, both in downtown actually. so maybe we'll be neighbours :)

Don't worry about checking places out, I'm speaking to the current tenants of the apartments I'm interested in, and talking to them is much more illuminating than just speaking to the managers. I appreciate the offer, though.

garden

Post by garden » Mon May 26, 2008 12:18 pm

LMAO, :)

BOOKS?

I have packing all of my book to a single box, it is weighted 200grm!

E->W

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm

garden has spoken and blessed us with another commandment.

Commandment 1:
*** off the school with damn committee

Commandment 2:
Life is so short to waste time to hate anyone!

Commandment 3:
Ha ha ha, I did not realize that I have been hitting to the back door, thanks to crapy dude!

Commandment 4:
I have packing all of my book to a single box, it is weighted 200grm!

So it seems that the great one has commanded us to forsake our books, except those that can fit into a single box and weigh less than 200 grams. He is clearly telling us that we are too dependent on books, and we need to break this dependence by destroying the majority of them.

This "E->W" however, is very mysterious.

garden

Post by garden » Mon May 26, 2008 1:19 pm

LMAO! :)

200grm = 1DVD, grae313 :)

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 pm

He has spoken yet again! Yea Lord, you are truly a caring God.

noojens

Post by noojens » Mon May 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Blargh, I hate reading textbooks off a computer screen. I admire your ability to economize, though :) Moving is an awesome opportunity to trim off excess stuff. Man, I love giving things away! It's like orgasms for the anti-consumer in me.

Also, apparently I am not in touch enough with this community to know wtf is going on with this garden situation. I am lost!

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 am

noojens wrote:Man, I love giving things away! It's like orgasms for the anti-consumer in me.
Man, I love getting things for free. It's like orgasms for the consumer in me. We should arrange some type of mutually beneficial transaction....
noojens wrote:Also, apparently I am not in touch enough with this community to know wtf is going on with this garden situation. I am lost!
We are all lost, but by following the teachings of garden, we can be saved!

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue May 27, 2008 11:13 am

wasn't his coming scheduled for august? DAmn how time flies

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Tue May 27, 2008 10:06 pm

It is not man's decision to determine the date of the Blessed One's coming.