What to do/where to go?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Where to go/What to do

University of Wisconsin
11%
University of Hawaii
61%
Pennsylvania State
17%
Take a year off
11%

Total votes: 18

Admiralrewd

What to do/where to go?

Post by Admiralrewd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:28 pm

This is for astronomy, not sure yet where in astronomy, leaning towards galactic/extragalactic, but I have a lot of interests in astronomy and my past research has been in multiple astronomy fields. I added "take a year off" in there, not because I dislike the schools listed, but because I wanted time to reassess if I really want to make what will amount to a 6+ year (and maybe a lifetime) commitment to a very narrow field. Any thoughts?

vicente

Re: What to do/where to go?

Post by vicente » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm

University of Hawaii - they got the big telescope at the top of the big island, don't they?

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:20 pm

"I wanted time to reassess if I really want to make what will amount to a 6+ year (and maybe a lifetime) commitment to a very narrow field" <<
What narrow field?

U of Hawaii sounds great for studying astronomy isn't it? I'll surely apply there next year. :D

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Heck, if I had a passion for astronomy I'd be in Hawaii in a second

coconut

Post by coconut » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Admiralrewd wrote:This is for astronomy, not sure yet where in astronomy, leaning towards galactic/extragalactic, but I have a lot of interests in astronomy and my past research has been in multiple astronomy fields. I added "take a year off" in there, not because I dislike the schools listed, but because I wanted time to reassess if I really want to make what will amount to a 6+ year (and maybe a lifetime) commitment to a very narrow field. Any thoughts?
Shouldn't you have already thought about the 6+ year committment before you applied? :D I mean, you knew what you would be getting in to when you decided you were going to go through the whole admissions process.

If what you want to do is observational, Hawaii is the place to go. You will get tons of observing time on the Mauna Kea telescopes (lots of data), and there are lots of people to choose from to work with.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:36 am

HEHEHEHE to burst the bubble.... the illustrious caltech has 40% of Keck (the telescope on top of the mountain) as i heard from friend who is going there for astro

if you really want to go extra galactic.... go to hawaii... wisc is a lot of neutrino from what i saw on the website

Admiralrewd

Post by Admiralrewd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:25 am

coconut wrote:
Shouldn't you have already thought about the 6+ year committment before you applied? :D I mean, you knew what you would be getting in to when you decided you were going to go through the whole admissions process.
you'd think so wouldn't you. But I'd rather not go into my life story. I guess that option shouldn't really be up there.

physicsdude

Post by physicsdude » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 pm

<...>
Last edited by physicsdude on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admiralrewd

Post by Admiralrewd » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm

thanks for the advice, I had a feeling you guys would say hawaii. And I'm pretty sure I agree, so aloha U hawaii!

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 am

Cancel your plans for Hawaii, I heard a geologist on the discovery channel or some other source a few years ago say that California is going to fall of the coast and that will create a tidal wave that'll wipe Hawaii out...

that is unless the LHC eats the earth first...

By the way, don't anyone forget about THE BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!!!!!

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Admiralrewd

Post by Admiralrewd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:55 am

maybe the lhc black holes will augment the tidal wave... IT COULD HAPPEN!!!