Cambridge Overseas Trusts

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Yossarian

Cambridge Overseas Trusts

Post by Yossarian » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Does anyone have any idea of when the Cambridge Overseas Trust tells you whether or not they're willing to fund you? Compulsively checking the financial aid section of the Grad Student Self-Service page is getting a little old.

P.S. Maybe I should mention I'd be going for an MPhil, if that makes a difference for timing.

drken

Re: Cambridge Overseas Trusts

Post by drken » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am

i sent them an email to ask this exact question. the response:

"The majority of awards administered by the Cambridge Overseas Trust are usually offered
between the end of May and September in order for successful applicants to take up their
places in October."

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Heh, some time ago a Cambridge guy told me they start in March. Guess he just wanted me to buzz off. Thanks for the more authoritative version! I'll calm myself.

As an aside, doesn't it bug you that most every college-based studentship requires that you have named that college as your first choice of colleges? As an American who isn't particularly hip to the differences between the colleges, the only decision-making basis I have is which one would offer me the most financial aid, and apparently I guessed the wrong one.

stardust

Post by stardust » Sat May 03, 2008 5:21 pm

I believe they are through funding by the end of April. They said they had only 100 awards
out of 1500 applicants. You can e-mail your department secretary for the info on your
situation. I haven't heard anything about awards from May thru Sept - that seems a bit
late. After all, they must know you would hear from other places before then.