Is this a problem?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bestbearblackbear

Is this a problem?

Post by bestbearblackbear » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:23 pm

I have discovered that the graduate program I decided to attend has an incoming class that is double what is it normally (~30 instead of 15).

Is this a problem? Should I be worried? AdmissionProf.......help!

twistor

Re: Is this a problem?

Post by twistor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Who cares?! You're in!

will

Post by will » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm

It means that you'll get paid half what they usually do, and you'll have to share your research advisor with twice as many students.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Interesting. Wonder what place it is?

This occasionally happens. Financially, it isn't a problem--they've offered you the money and will pay you. They will likely have to borrow the money from the Dean and have a very small class next year. So integrated over a few years, it won't matter much. It might make it a little harder to get your choice of research advisor. If 12 entering students want to work for Prof. Heisenberg, and Werner only has room for 6, then some people will be out of luck. Generally, though, the smaller classes next year and the year after will even things out.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:55 am

bestbearblackbear wrote:I have discovered that the graduate program I decided to attend has an incoming class that is double what is it normally (~30 instead of 15).

Is this a problem? Should I be worried? AdmissionProf.......help!
Maybe they recently hired some new faculty and are expanding their program? I wouldn't worry too much.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 am

btw, grae, go check the zero hour thread if you haven't already. it looks like there was a misunderstanding.
regards