Is it disadvantageous to do the GRE Physics test a 2nd time

nuwan78

Is it disadvantageous to do the GRE Physics test a 2nd time

Post by nuwan78 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:40 am

Very recently I heard from a friend that if somebody has done the GRE math test and wants to do it another time, the scores of the first test will be considered for the second test

Now I have scored low in the GRE Physics test (710 /61% above) so I would like to do the Physcis test again ( this time to increase on my previous marks)
So will my 1st scores will affect the test scores of the second test.

Is there any dependancy of each of these test scores ?

I am somewhat worried about this news

Please advice

paradox

Reiterating the question about scoring

Post by paradox » Thu May 18, 2006 10:22 pm

Do previous scores on subject GRE tests effect new scores? In other words, if I take the physics GRE for practice (assuming I'm infinitely rich and patient) and take it again a year later, does first test effect my second tests score?

I suppose one of these days I'll scour the ETS website for details.

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Fri May 19, 2006 1:22 am

No, your scores will not be affected by having taken the test before. However, both scores will be sent to any grad school you apply to, not just your best, and most grad schools consider some sort of average of the two I'm told. Bottom line, if you took it once and think you can do better, it is your money and as long as you do do better (I would say significantly better...if you score the near same that will just verify your lower score in the minds of the admissions committee) it will not hurt. That said, do not test the test "for practice." Download practice exams from the Harvard site and others and use those for practice...you don't want your "practice" test to be the reason you don't get into grad school.

By the way, the same thing goes for the general GRE. Go into it looking to take it once and only once if you can.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 am

That said, you can take it and cancel your score if you want to pay just to see the problems. I did this once a few years ago, and would suggest it if you have any anxiety and you feel it might help.

nuwan78

Post by nuwan78 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:40 am

Hey guys thanks a lot for the info.

tat747

Post by tat747 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:55 am

whoa, wait a minute... i was under the impression that each new time you take the test (and choose the 4 schools you want your results sent to) the schools will get only the score for that particular test. Also I know that when you call ETS to get additional scores sent to more universities, they specifically ask you something like: "Do you want the scores from your Novermber 12, 2006 Physics GRE sent to this school?"

Am I wrong? Do all the schools receive ALL of your scores from previous tests? Seems unlikely, cause they don't do that with SAT's or any of the other standardized tests, but as someone who took the test "for practice" and got a really crappy score I am now officially worried. Time to call ETS, I guess....

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Not a bad idea to call ETS to confirm and make sure we have this right, but I am 99% sure that when you order a score report sent to a school, they get every test you've taken in the last 5 years.

tat747

Post by tat747 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 am

so i checked with ETS and tleilax is correct: all the tests taken within the past five years are reported to each school you designate.

Guess I should have checked into that earlier. Now I feel like no matter how well I do on the next one I won't be able to get into the school of my choice...

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:00 am

You know, that's one thing we should warn people about. If your thinking of taking the real thing as a "practice" then make sure to cancel your scores in the end (unless of course you feel you did well!). I did this to help with some trepidation I had with the exam. Now that I've taken it for practice once, and once for real I feel I'll be able to do much better in the future now that I know what to prepare for.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:02 am

BTW, I would not jump to the conclusion that the schools your shooting for are now out of reach. Prepare and take it again and do your best. At worse a low and a high score will just make the GRE Physics score neutral for you.

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:41 pm

A low score followed by a high score would be I would think very positive in the eyes of the admissions committee. Go for it and apply to where you really want to go. Apply to some safeties too if you are worried, and see what happens. The GRE is not everything, and you may come out on top in the end.

Wanna Be Physicist

Dude

Post by Wanna Be Physicist » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Dude I would kill someone to have a 710!!!!