For Prospective Graduate School Applicants

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bluefire

For Prospective Graduate School Applicants

Post by bluefire » Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 pm

For those who have not applied to graduate school yet or are planning to apply to graduate school, check out this website: http://www.phds.org/rankings/physics/

:D I hope you like it as much as I did.

Tell me how you like it.

paradox

I wish they'd ask more questions

Post by paradox » Wed May 10, 2006 4:04 am

Thanks for the site. However, I'm always a little disappointed in these surveys. They never ask the question I want to know.

1.) How many students published papers while earning their PhD?
2.) Where do their students end up?
3.) Are their alumni happy with the graduate experience?
4.) How many students complete their PhD?

Funding is really important. Still, I've heard enough horror stories to want to look deeper. Student happiness and fufillment is important.

Is there a rate my advisor web site?

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Wed May 10, 2006 6:28 am

I thought they asked some of the most crucial information for potential Ph.Ds especially the questions in the "Faculty Reputation and Activity Measures" section and the "Funding Measures" section. From what I understand there are ways to find out what happened to the alumni of the program on some graduate school website.I know Cornell have a list of places where the graduate students went off to after they graduated. But, I agree. I think it would be much more useful if they included the questions you listed.
This site would definately be helpful when I apply to graduate school.