Asian Student - need help

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sltrukshan

Asian Student - need help

Post by sltrukshan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 am

Dear Friends,

I'm an average student and applied for middle ranking universities only.

GPA major = 3.70
GPA overall = 3.52
GRE physics = 730 (64%)

I got admission from Uni. of Mississippi and Wayne State university. My research interest is undecided. Since I'm from asia, I like to have few asians and like milder climate conditions. The rank (recognition) is also important. I don't know much about both. So I would be thankful if one (domestic) can recommend me by considering above points.

Thanks.

gatr1126

Re: Asian Student - need help

Post by gatr1126 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:17 pm

As far as recognition or prestige is concerned, I think you might be better at the University of Mississippi. The climate is milder there. Wayne State is in Michigan which can get pretty cold.

sltrukshan

Post by sltrukshan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:07 pm

gatr1126 wrote:As far as recognition or prestige is concerned, I think you might be better at the University of Mississippi. The climate is milder there. Wayne State is in Michigan which can get pretty cold.
Thank you for your kind help. I greatly appreciate it

gatr1126

Post by gatr1126 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:48 pm

No problem, although you definitely shouldn't take my word for it. If possible, try to visit both campuses (I understand since you're foreign, this may be more difficult) and make a decision for yourself. There are a lot of factors that go into play including size of the department, different types of research being done if you can at least narrow your specialty down, and the like. Good luck in your decision.

sltrukshan

Post by sltrukshan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:05 pm

gatr1126 wrote:No problem, although you definitely shouldn't take my word for it. If possible, try to visit both campuses (I understand since you're foreign, this may be more difficult) and make a decision for yourself. There are a lot of factors that go into play including size of the department, different types of research being done if you can at least narrow your specialty down, and the like. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you very much again. Would you mind, could you please rank the following schools

U of Massachusetts Amherst
U of Houston
U of Kansas
U of Mississippi
Colorado State University
Wayne State University

Thanks again for you help.

al-Haytham

Post by al-Haytham » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:27 pm

having had some experience of warmer Asian climes and Michigan winters, if mild climate is your top priority, do not choose wayne state.

sltrukshan

Post by sltrukshan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:36 am

al-Haytham wrote:having had some experience of warmer Asian climes and Michigan winters, if mild climate is your top priority, do not choose wayne state.
My top priority is not for the climate but for the recognition (rank). According to that which is better??

gatr1126

Post by gatr1126 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:06 pm

sltrukshan wrote:
gatr1126 wrote:No problem, although you definitely shouldn't take my word for it. If possible, try to visit both campuses (I understand since you're foreign, this may be more difficult) and make a decision for yourself. There are a lot of factors that go into play including size of the department, different types of research being done if you can at least narrow your specialty down, and the like. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you very much again. Would you mind, could you please rank the following schools

U of Massachusetts Amherst
U of Houston
U of Kansas
U of Mississippi
Colorado State University
Wayne State University

Thanks again for you help.
I'll admit, I'm really not too familiar with most of those schools in terms of overall prestige. I can say, however, that UMass-Amherst is the top on that list. I was actually accepted there myself, but turned it down in favor of U of Florida. I'd say U Kansas might be second followed by U Mississippi, but I'll admit I really have no idea what I'm talking about, so take that with a grain of salt. It's really the northeast that I'm more familiar with.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 pm

From US News & World Report:

U of Massachusetts Amherst: 55 (tied w/ several other schools)
U of Houston: 85 (tied w/ several other schools)
U of Kansas: 81 (tied w/ several other schools)
U of Mississippi: not ranked
Colorado State University: 81 (tied w/ several other schools)
Wayne State University: not ranked

IMHO, I would never want to live in Mississippi. My grandpa was from Arkansas, and their unofficial state motto was "Arkansas, hey at least it's not Mississippi!". I have never been comfortable with the culture of the South, every time I have been there I always get this strange vibe.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:26 pm

sltrukshan: none of those schools have particularly strong reputations. If you want to know very general rankings, look up either the US news rankings (which fermiboy just gave you) or the NRC rankings (free). Of those schools, U Mass Amherst does seem like the best.

I would worry much less about overall reputation than specific reputation in the field you're interested in, and with specific advisers as well. Even if you're undecided, you should have some sense what areas of physics seem most interesting to you.

VT

Post by VT » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 pm

That NRC ranking is based on 1992 info. US news is much better than that.

sltrukshan

Post by sltrukshan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Thank you very much (ALL). I greatly appreciate your comments. It is a worry that Uni of Mississippi and Wayne State are not even in ranks :( :( :(

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:22 pm

The fact that the schools aren't ranked doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have good programs. Both of those schools have very small programs in terms of number of grad students. My undergraduate institution doesn't make the rankings, mostly because it is also very small. But the grad students here are all pretty smart and seem pretty happy. I don't think it would be such a terrible place to study. The question of the importance of the prestige of a school is a difficult one that has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. But I think if you go to a good program that isn't very prestigious, you can still have a successful career if you do quality research and publish as a grad student.

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:06 am

What year are those NRC from? Some of the results surprise me. Although I am very glad to see a list other than US News.

vicente

Post by vicente » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 pm

sltrukshan wrote: I got admission from Uni. of Mississippi and Wayne State university
Since I'm from asia, I like to have few asians
Thanks.
Then you're picking the right places because few Asians go to those schools. Pick lesser-known schools, especially small town or rural ones in the South, I have a feeling that they have few Asians there.

EDIT: Not sure if you've ever been to the U.S., but when we North Americans say "South" we mean the southEASTERN U.S.A.