Italian Student

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ITAphys88

Italian Student

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 am

Hello everybody!
I'm an Italian student (freshman) of physics, with a strong passion for mathematics (i love the techniques, not the logical, formal demonstrations) and wish to pursue a challenging but rewarding doctoral program (or master) in a very inspiring field, hoping to get a good (maybe with $$$) career later on: atmosphere, oceans and energy.

So, i wanted to ask you:

- have you ever heard/met Italian people graduating in USA (especially in physics, maths, earth science, and engineering)?
How was their resume? How about the grades? How did "he" managed to get an offer in USA Phd programs?

i ask this, because, even if i am still in my first year (i'm 19), i'd like to obtain infos about how they consider an italian degree (which, in my opinion, is a good one), how they consider an italian graduate, etc..do i have to improve my english, for example?

Thanks so much, and, even if i am a bit late, good luck "in bocca al lupo" to everyone who's waiting any news from graduate schools!!!

hpharty

Re: Italian Student

Post by hpharty » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 am

I have never met an Italian graduate student. I see no reason why it should matter though. I've also never heard a bad word about the Italian university system.

ITAphys88

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:19 am

i don't know, it's just that i would like to learn about someone's experience (Pros and Cons, errors, issues)...anyway thanks

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 am

From what I've heard from friends in the Italian department the Italian educational system is far more advanced than in the US.

If you're serious about your education then you should continue your education in Italy. Keep in mind that most people in the US have only heard of US universities, so that may affect you down the road if you're applying for jobs in America but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think there are any people other than maybe a few professors in ocean and atmospheric science who make a lot of money.

Credo che fara' buono se studia in Italia.

Buona fortuna.

And by the way, I think your English is fine. My Italian, on the other hand....

ITAphys88

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:43 am

Yes, my intention is to get a degree (equivalent to B.S.) here at my university
(Padova, which is top notch for physics and sciences, generally speaking) but then maybe move to US in order to continue my education, possibly in a top-tier grad school

I have good marks, my first semester had 4 exam

- Geometry and Linear Algebra 30/30 cum laude (praise)
- Calculus I 30/30
- Mechanics 30/30
- Laboratory I 30/30

Now i am attending Chemistry, Thermodynamics and Fluids, E&M I, and Calculus II
i am pretty confident in these fields, thus i think i am going to get similar grades in them.

For this reason, i'd like to go to Ivyes, Mit, and schools like that...It's my dream!

Do you study Italian? I think it's acceptable,it could be improved, but still...
"farà" and "studia" is third person singular, you should write "farai" and "studi", second person singular!!=)

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 am

I met an Italian guy at my school once, just doing a research study abroad thing I suppose. I can't really answer your questions I suppose, but he was a funny guy ... he said "yessum" a lot. Good times.

I won't lie, this post was entirely self-indulgent.

mike

Post by mike » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 am

well....I have the same question: Do you have any vietnamese friends or have you met them? How r they studying?

I am not vietnamese, but really interested in this country and its people.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 pm

I tried to study Italian. Too many tenses. Just too many.

excel

Post by excel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:51 pm

First, I have seen profs from Italian universities present at intl-level conferences attended by many U.S. profs in my graduate field (not physics). So, some U.S. profs may be familiar with Italian universities or at least profs from Italian universities.

Secondly, I know for a fact that a top-ranking univ has been accepting students who did their undergrad in Iran. The admission director said that he gets an Iranian prof in the dept to help judge the applications from Iran. Now, if strong Iranian students can come to top U.S. univ, then so can Italian students. Also, it means that it may be good to contact Italian profs in specific U.S. departments with the question that you have asked in this forum-- chances are that when you apply, they will play a key role in deciding the fate of your application.

Finally, I hope you will consider not just physics graduate programs but also applied math and environmental sciences graduate programs.

excel

Post by excel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 pm

...by the way, contacting officers at the International Student Organization in ur univ. of interest may be a good way to get in touch with Italian grad students in the U.S. There is such an organization at almost every univ. (though under slightly different names).

ITAphys88

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

of course, don't worry, i am evaluating lots of graduate programs, even env engineering..thank you for the answer, it gave me hope and courage!

but what field are you applying to? and why aren't you giving more details about you application status? it could be helpful for those who are evaluating their potentiality!!

anyway, thanks!

rooibos

Post by rooibos » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Hey, I did an REU in Padova a couple years ago. It was fun, but it seemed like everyone was more interested in soccer... I guess it didn't help that the World Cup was on and Italy was in the finals :D

ITAphys88

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:40 pm

yes, let's say we are "passionate" about soccer, and if Italy is going good, we get stuck to television to see if the team wins the competition!

what reu in particular?

excel

Post by excel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm

ITAphys88 wrote:of course, don't worry, i am evaluating lots of graduate programs, even env engineering..thank you for the answer, it gave me hope and courage!

but what field are you applying to? and why aren't you giving more details about you application status? it could be helpful for those who are evaluating their potentiality!!

anyway, thanks!
I applied to a mix of applied math, basic sciences, and engineering programs. The context of my proposed research is not environmental sciences. However, I am also a physics undergrad with strong interest in using math & physics.

I intend to be more specific about my profile after I join a graduate program. In fact, I may later share my experiences of going from a physics major to a graduate field that uses physics and math in a blog or an article.