Fulbright scholorship

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Mindaugas

Fulbright scholorship

Post by Mindaugas » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 pm

I am international applicant for 2008 Physics PhD from Europe, Lithuania. For international applicants, like me, there exist Fulbright scholarships for studying in U.S. and I would like to discuss about it. I didn't applied for it, but if I fail to be accepted to any university this year, I will probably apply for Fulbright scholarship for next year.

The scholarship which provides the most hopes is named "INTERNATIONAL FULBRIGHT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FELLOWSHIP" - it gives scholarship for approximately 3 years in top U.S. university. After searching older discussions in this forum, I understood that students who receive Fulbright scholarship, get Visa for limited time and are obliged to return back to their home country after receiving PhD. I was wondering if it really so strict..? In my opinion, doing post-doc in U.S. is equally important as getting PhD, but then nominees of Fulbright scholarship have no chance to get post-doc in U.S.

If someone have applied for Fulbright scholarship and received it, or applied and failed to receive please respond to this Post :wink:

Samual_Adams

Re: Fulbright scholorship

Post by Samual_Adams » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:48 am

Min,

I think that, if you fail to get accepted into any universities this year, you will be unlikely to win the Fulbright award next year. The competition for those things is pretty fierce.

Mindaugas

Post by Mindaugas » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Samual,

have you applied for any of these Fullbright scholarships? I suppose it is competitive.. Still I didn't find any information, i.e., how many students apply for them and how many receive.

peder

Post by peder » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Sorry, but this is pure laziness on your part, Mindaugas.

Google "INTERNATIONAL FULBRIGHT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FELLOWSHIP"

Click the first entry.

Notice how they have made bold the most significant part of the entry:
Two nominees from India will compete with candidates from all over the world for this fellowship.
Or even the third link:
International Fulbright Science and Technology Award recipients come from all regions of the world and engage in a wide-range of scientific inquiry. Approximately 40 awards will be completed worldwide for candidates who demonstrate unique aptitude and innovation in scientific fields.

Mindaugas

Post by Mindaugas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:30 am

That's right, approximately 40 nominees get INTERNATIONAL FULBRIGHT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FELLOWSHIP every year. It is interesting how many students apply for it. I think the competition depends on the country and the scholarships are distributed uniformly in all participating countries. I.e., even though India is very big country and have great pool of excellent students, it will not got the proportional number of awards. Don't you think so?