Peterson's Data on Grad Programs: Yield, Stipend Rates, etc.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

excel

Peterson's Data on Grad Programs: Yield, Stipend Rates, etc.

Post by excel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:33 pm

For most graduate programs, Peterson's has info on the number of applicants, percentage acceptance, and the number of students who enrolled in the program, in addition to some other data. So, the yield for these programs can be calculated from this data. I recently came to know of this from a grad cafe thread.

http://www.petersons.com/GradChannel/co ... r.fas.grad

Search for the school, navigate to its program of interest (probably physics), and then click on Students/ Outcomes.

...I dont know anything about the accuracy of their data etc.
Last edited by excel on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

multigoal

Re: Data for yield of grad programs

Post by multigoal » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 pm

@ excel
Is this data for previous year or this year?

excel

Post by excel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 am

Very unlikely that this data is from this current year. However, previous year's data should give useful indication, I think.

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:49 pm

hi I've also used a bit of Peterson's search facility for grad schools before I applied, and I thought it provided pretty comprehensive admission stats not found elsewhere on the web. ofcourse I just used things like :
XXX physics grad school data on petersons
Financial Support:
In 2006–07, 9 fellowships with tuition reimbursements (averaging $2,500 per year), 53 research assistantships with full tuition reimbursements (averaging $20,000 per year), 43 teaching assistantships with full tuition reimbursements (averaging $15,000 per year) were awarded.; ....
as a rough guide, but come to think about it I'm now interested in how accurate their data is, especially regarding the stipends/assistantships/fellowships.
so what do people say if they compared their offers with the data given on that webpage to see how trustworthy their numbers are?

for example, I'm international and I got an offer from purdue physics and they're ready to offer me 16k TA for 4 years gauranteed with (almost) full tuition reimburstments. a quick search for the relevant page in peterson's does indeed show me that TA at purdue are 14.7k for the 06/07 year, so it is very close to what i actually got offered if you take into account inflation and so on for our year 08/09...

i think knowing how accurate peterson's data is will help us decide whether we got a decent offer from a particular school or not, so let's have a few posts on this.

excel

Re: Peterson's Data on Grad Programs: Yield, Stipend Rates, etc.

Post by excel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I have changed the topic name to reflect the changed focus of this thread.