One bad grade on my transcript

Should I submit addendum to my application explaining the grade?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 15

jmwilson

One bad grade on my transcript

Post by jmwilson » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:16 pm

Hey all! So I'm a senior physics major graduating this next spring. Back first semester sophomore year I ended up in Mathematical Methods using Boas, but at the time wasn't sure I had enough math experience (2 sems. of calc) to cut it. I talked to the professor, and I was told I should be fine. So there were 3 people in the course. I ended up with a poor grade, the lowest on my transcript. Now I realize, if I had dropped the course, by university policy it would have been cancelled since there had to be 3 students. Don't get me wrong, I think I earned the grade I got in the course, I had to work very hard for it, but I think I was railroaded into the class. Is there anyway to explain it grad. schools? Or would they even want to know? (Since then I've had discrete, linear, an extra sem. of calc, and received high marks in all--well now doubt I should have after having Boas!)
Thanks for your thoughts!

JMW

Miles

Post by Miles » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:57 pm

Though its probably best that you ask a professor at your school who is responsible for admissions what they would think, I'd suggest that you do attach a note if the grade is bad enough. The admissions people will notice all your grades, and you don't want them to be left wondering what happened. However, be very careful to make sure that your letter is an explanation, not an excuse.

Miles

icarus137

Post by icarus137 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:50 pm

One bad grade in a math class isnt going to make or break your physics admission application. When they look at your transcript, they will look primarily at your junior and senior upper division physics classes and how you performed in those.

Personally, I wouldnt make a note regarding the class. Why draw attention to something like that? You want to give them reasons to admit you not put a magnifier under possible reasons not to.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:57 pm

If you have time, maybe take a grad level mathematical physics class to make up for it. Also, in your statement you might broach the subject by saying something along the lines that you jumped the gun taking a class when you were unprepared but did it due to your excitement to take more physics sooner. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

paradox

RE: grades

Post by paradox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Especially if you've got several years of good grades.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Don't do it. It is better that they focus on how you've done during your last two years as an undergraduate. Make sure the rest of your applications are strong! :D

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:30 am

I couldn't help but notice that many of you are trying to advise this person, however he/she posed this question almost two years ago, so I'm guessing he/she probably already submitted his/her applications.

paradox

Oops!

Post by paradox » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:05 pm

Good point. I guess I'm a regular lemming**. :lol:

**Incidentally, does anyone remember those 'Lemmings' games? I probably showing my age here. It was one of those games that I avoided like the plague as a kid. It ranked somewhere in between bowling and golf for the SNES. I guess I've gotten pretty lame as an adult.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/search.ph ... e=lemmings
Did I happen to mention that I've wasted quite a bit of time playing bowling and gold games as an adult as well? Either way, it reminded of this cool site you might want to check out.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:56 pm

That's interesting, I saw a new post and assumed the whole thread was new.

icarus137

Post by icarus137 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:36 am

Well, I responded to it because it is a generic question really. It probably will not help this person as you said the post was 2 years old; however, it might help someone else who is in a similar situation.

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:03 am

good point...It just seemed funny to me

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Well, I'd also add that this situation could be avoided by auditing courses that you are interested in but not really ready for. Usually a math methods course at the undergrad level is taken after the lower division math courses (3 semesters of Calc and Diff Eq + Linear Alg.), which usually occurs at the end of the sophmore year or beginning of junior year.

Note that if your in a school without a math methods course you could take PDE's and Complex Variables. In my case I found a course that did both out of Krysig in one semester. It does help tremendously to have done these courses before E&M and especially Quantum, for obvious reasons (their equations are PDE's, and full solutions can be complex)

witten_high_pitch_voice

hilarious

Post by witten_high_pitch_voice » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 am

LOL
You guys all got hooked by a huge bait
ROFL