March Meeting

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

fermiboy

March Meeting

Post by fermiboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 am

Is anyone else going to New Orleans for the March Meeting? I have never been to New Orleans before, I can't wait to try the food.

nvanmeter

Re: March Meeting

Post by nvanmeter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 am

I'll be going out to Bourbon street, but probably won't actually attend the conference (i'm from NO and live about an hour away)

LucasWillis

Post by LucasWillis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:12 am

I'll be at the march meeting in the SPS undergrad session. I'm flying in Saturday morning and leaving late Tuesday.

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 pm

and you will be going to bourbon street too, lucas

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Where are the good places in the French Quarter to get the authentic cajun style food?

LucasWillis

Post by LucasWillis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:26 pm

You're damn right, nick, that's why I'm flying in on saturday. I'm staying in the super 8 motel on Chef Menteur on the industrial canal. Nice neighborhood, I know.

Fermiboy, I'm no expert but I'd say it would be hard to walk 25ft without running into some cajun food. If you like clams they abound and can be gotten for very little cost. There are a bunch of famous places, and APS has kindly compiled a list on the march meeting website. Are you in the SPS session?

Nick, you'd get a kick out of this. My presentation is going to be pretty stupid, and if it hadn't been for the fact that it is an undergrad session I would have withdrawn a week ago. We had some trouble and some stuff broke so now all I am doing is numerically calculating dipole matrix elements for rubidium. I suppose it is interesting, but it isn't ground breaking by any means, or even "research" for that matter.