Deferals / Deferments

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Prodigal

Deferals / Deferments

Post by Prodigal » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi all,

I know that this is something that might differ from school to school, and yes, I will be making inquiries to the schools I've been accepted to soon (heard back from most, still waiting on a couple), but I'd still love to hear your thoughts or advice.

Basically, I really want to defer enrollment for a year, and have no idea if schools generally let you do this. I have what I believe is a very good reason, and is both physics and teaching related. Does anybody know anything about deferring admission? I'm most worried about Columbia, which I've heard might not allow this at all.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Prodigal

admissionprof

Re: Deferals / Deferments

Post by admissionprof » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 pm

I don't know about Columbia, but many schools don't have a problem with it, as long as there is a plausible reason. We like it, since it means the following year, we start with "one in the bank".

But don't wait until April. If their acceptances are running low, they might try to talk you out of it.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:28 pm

There was a girl who was accepted to my school who had to wait one year due to some other commitment, I think it was some sort of internship. They had no problem with it.

pika

Post by pika » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Anybody heard of examples of deferring by 2 years (if you have a very good reason).

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 pm

I know UW has a box you can check to defer enrollment for one year on their reply form. It is right below the "I choose to accept" box and the "I'm going somewhere else" box. I bet it varies widely from university to university though, and you really just gotta ask. There is no harm in asking either, since you are already admitted. Everything to gain and nothing to loose. Why not just send them an email and ask?

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Does anybody know anything specifically about Columbia in regard to deferring? I feel like I've read somewhere that they don't allow it, but finding that info on their web site is proving difficult.

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 pm

I know something about Columbia deferring.

I know they deferred my ass right out of their program today.

Sorry. That was far from helpful.