free text books online

Michaelhaj

free text books online

Post by Michaelhaj » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 am

Hi
I’m new here..I’d like to ask if there are any web site offer free undergraduate text to prepare for the GRE physics, because I can’t buy for all the books..

twistor

Re: free text books online

Post by twistor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 am

I am afraid your content is inappropriate for this site. Under the new policy I am to report your post at once to the proper authorities lest I be involved in your conspiracy to commit copyright infringement.

Excuse me, but I must now go purge my brain of these evil thoughts.

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:37 pm

I am not sure of a site offering free textbooks for the physics GRE. I do know the ETS has published practice tests in pdf format that you can use to help. I also know there are many sites that offer free resources to help one understand the fundamental concepts of physics. However, I do not have any specific recommendations.

marten

Post by marten » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 pm

hello michaelhaj, While I don't know of any places that offer free text books, there are several good internet reference sites to help study for the GRE. Here are a few that I found useful:

http://www.grephysics.net - full solutions and discussions to all of the practice GRE tests. (first thing to do, get all 4 ETS practice tests, and figure out what you need to study. Links on this site, among others)

There is a free physics text book available in .pdf format, although I can't really comment on it because I haven't read it. It is called Motion Mountain. Just looking at the chapter titles, I'm not sure how helpful it will be because what will really benefit your physics GRE score is doing lots of practice problems to improve your speed.

http://www.motionmountain.net/contents.html

There is a book commonly called the REA "Purple Book", but the practice tests are generally considered to be more difficult then the real thing. That said, it is available used for a low price and makes for more practice. This website (physicsgre.com) has more info, comments, and resources.

Plan to spend a lot of time researching and looking, there is lots of good info already posted here on this website in the archives and articles, plus more. Then just go over the tests, take, and re-take them under test like conditions.

Good luck,
Marten

rohan

Post by rohan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:12 am

http://www.physicsbooks.info
although it isnt dedicated to gre books... but its not bad

VT

Post by VT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:49 pm

all four gre practice test can be found at yahoo physics gre club. You need to join this club in order to access these tests.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:04 pm

You can get all four practice tests from the Stanford SPS. The links can be found at the bottom of the page under Resources -- there's also practice advice.