2018 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sergioyapa

2018 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Postby sergioyapa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm

This is the most useful resource PhysicsGRE has to offer. If you have used this information in the past or are currently using it to help decide upon schools, I highly suggest you help out and post your own profile once you have applied to schools. Future members of this forum will find it very useful! Don't be shy!

Copy and paste the template below in your reply to keep the formatting.

[b]GPA in Major[/b]:
[b]Overall GPA[/b]:
[b]Length of Degree[/b]: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?)
[b]Position in Class[/b]: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
[b]Type of Student[/b]: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

[b]GRE Scores [/b]: (revised or old version?)
[b]Q[/b]:
[b]V[/b]:
[b]W[/b]:
[b]P[/b]:

[b]TOEFL[/b]: ([b]R[/b]: , [b]L[/b]: , [b]S[/b]: , [b]W[/b]: )

[b]Research Experience[/b]: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

[b]Awards/Honors/Recognitions[/b]: (Within your school or outside?)

[b]Pertinent Activities or Jobs[/b]: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

[b]Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help[/b]:

[b]Special Bonus Points[/b]: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

[b]Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter[/b]:

[b]Applying to Where[/b]:

[u]School[/u] - Department - Research Interest [color=#4000BF](Feb. 28: WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)[/color]
[u]School[/u] - Department - Research Interest [color=#00BF00](Feb. 14: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)[/color]
[u]School[/u] - Department - Research Interest [color=#FF0000](Feb. 23: Rejected via website/email)[/color]
Last edited by quizivex on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sticky'd

yeshuamo

Re: 2018 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Postby yeshuamo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Undergrad Institution: Current bachelor's: Large state school, OK physics, spectacular astronomy. First bachelor's: top-30 large private university.
Major(s): Physics. First degree: Business and English.
Minor(s): Math.
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: 3.71 (Current degree), 3.47 (First degree)
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?) 2.5 + 4 for the first bachelor's
Position in Class: ~90%
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores :
Q: 161 (88%)
V: 164 (87%)
W: 5.5 (98%) (yes mom, you read that right)
P: 580 (24%), retaking in October

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
2+ years with the same professor in Cosmology (my entire time I've been in school for physics)
1 year in computational astrophysics (concurrent with the above while it lasted)
1 year + in experimental biophysics (hello) (concurrent with the two projects above)
1 REU in computational radio astronomy
1 REU in cosmology (computational and instrumentation)

No pubs :eyeroll:
4 posters
5 talks

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 merit-based awards in science/physics, 1 award for scholarship and character from a national lab, best undergraduate poster, 4.0 GPA congratulatory kudos, departmental award from my literature department during my first degree

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Officer in two physics minority engagement clubs, I've done a bunch of outreach, volunteered at a cancer hospital for a year, have volunteered as an observer for a cosmological survey for a significant number of nights

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Fluent in Russian, which comes in handy more often than I'd expected. I take acting and improv classes and actively work on my public speaking skills, so my talks generally receive praise. I have a massive amount of writing experience compared to most applicants. Oh, and two years of full-time work experience (as a writer).

Special Bonus Points: two grad classes (1 was ultra-relevant to my grad school interest, completed with an A; the other is one of those courses physics grad students take in their first year. Grade TBD). Female. I have 6 eager recommenders and have encountered a number of cosmologists hearing good things about me from other scientists before meeting me, so I have little doubt that LORs will be my biggest strength. A few faculty at the schools I'm applying to have mentioned "putting in a word on my behalf" to the admissions committee.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
Not sure how much impact this can have, but I am a preceptor for calculus-based physics, worked as a math and language arts tutor at public inner city schools for two years. I also mention that I am good at graphic design in my CV, which should be evident from my talk slides in the portfolio that some schools accept.

Applying to Where:

Harvard - Astronomy - Cosmology
Princeton - Astronomy - Computational Cosmology
Yale - Astronomy - Cosmology
Chicago - Astronomy - Cosmology
UC Berkeley - Astronomy - Cosmology
Stanford - Physics - Cosmology
Ohio State - Astronomy - Cosmology
Pittsburg - Physics - Cosmology
Carnegie Mellon - Physics - Computational Astrophysics
UC Santa Cruz - Astronomy - Cosmology
Michigan - Physics - Computational Cosmology
Durham University (UK) - MSc in Physics - Cosmology
University of Florida - Astronomy - Cosmology or Computational Astro
UC Irvine - Physics - Cosmology

911876gev

Postby 911876gev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large research school, consistently within top 30 nationally and in world rankings
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.9
Length of Degree: Four years
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores : (revised or old version?)
Q: 167/170 (92%)
V: 164/170 (94%)
W: 5/6 (93%)
P: TBD (Just took the test in September)

Research Experience: 1 year collider physics, 2 years neutrino physics, full time research work for two summers, some at a national lab, month long independent work at the experiment site itself (international, remote). Gave an international conference talk this summer and a poster at a different international conference, working on papers right now (one hardware, one software)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Two awards at international conference this summer, Dean;s list + scholarships for college.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research = life. I've also trained students in the lab and done my time math/physics tutoring before research happened.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I've taken 5 grad classes which I've done well in, 2 in particle, 1 in cosmology. Currently in charge of large chunk of hardware at a working experiment. Flexible with hardware and software.

Special Bonus Points: Worked my way up in life, unusual life, late start but still young (21). Female. I have been lucky to work for two well-respected professors. I don't want to reveal any more about my identity in this public post, but if you send me a private message I can tell you more.

Applying to Where:

I'm not sure yet!

I'm looking to go to any grad school with really strong particle/cosmology experiments (big groups, lots of active people who talk a lot, lots of technical-minded people). I don't care at all about the "prestige" of the school! I care about how knowledgeable and active the people are there.
I am not fancy. I just want to understand this stuff and do this stuff well.

Internet searches don't seem to reveal much...I'm looking for insider information I guess :P

Does anybody have advice for me?

See http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=127396&p=198821#p198821

neurotal

Postby neurotal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Undergrad Institution: Huge midwestern R1 school, top 50 school in physics
Major(s): Honors Physics
Minor(s): History, Astronomy
GPA in Major: 3.54 with a slight upward trend
Overall GPA: 3.61
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: Slightly above average amongst my honors classmates.
Type of Student: White American male

GRE Scores : (revised or old version?)
Q: 162
V: 165
W: 5
P: 640 (Apr. 2017), retook in Sept.

TOEFL: N/A

Research Experience: 1.5 years measuring decay rates of radioactive isotopes looking for solar influences. Lab group is mainly concerned looking for DM. 1 paper, stuck in internal review by collaboration.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Small research award that I did nothing with.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Spent a year teaching Physics I labs with high marks from organizers.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: ?

Special Bonus Points: Have taken honors coursework, I guess.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nothing exciting.

Applying to Where: We'll see...

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”