Another ETS exam

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

butsurigakusha

Another ETS exam

Post by butsurigakusha » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:17 am

I was recently informed that my department is now requiring an exit exam in order to receive our degree. It appears to be a test very similar to the GRE, and it is administered by ETS. I am a bit annoyed by this. They don't require any minimum score to graduate, it is purely for the purpose of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the program, I guess. It's annoying because I have already given too much time and money to ETS. I don't have to pay for this test, but you know someone is paying, and I'm sure in an indirect way, I am somehow paying for it.

Anyone else have to take a similar exam?

will

Post by will » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 am

I do.

Actually I think it's kind of nice. No one really cares how I do on the physics GRE, but in the past our department has generally put a lot of effort and enthusiasm into improving areas where our graduating students seem to be flagging, and rewarding professors who teach the things our students excel at. Because of this, students here tend to score well above the national average, and at the top for the region. From what I've heard though, our test is nothing like the physics GRE. It is a written test with just a few very long problems.

mrh9rb

Post by mrh9rb » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:58 am

My department requires the ETS exam, I think it's called the Major Field Assessment Test. And here I was thinking I'd never have to take another ETS test again....

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 am

My dept. doesn't give a ***, but I wish they did.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 pm

My department didn't, although I think it's kind of a good idea. Once senior year rolled around I wasn't feeling as motivated, I wonder if a test like that would be a good kick in the butt.

doom

Post by doom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 pm

My math department requires the equivalent test. They had it pretty soon after the GRE, when I was feeling pretty unmotivated. They had review sessions for several weeks, and I skipped all but one. I only glanced at a few practice problems, yet still scored in the 90-some percentile.

If the math test is any indication, these tests are ridiculously easy. It's like a severely dumbed-down GRE.