Nigerian wants advice on medical physics program

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

eseosaod

Nigerian wants advice on medical physics program

Post by eseosaod » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Hello guys,i need advice on my plan to apply for the medical physics program(MS) I am from Nigeria,got my B.sc in chemistry but very interested in medical physics.what schools should i apply to considering cost,location,chances of getting financial assistance e.t.c.
then must one get over 1200 in the general GRE cos i am not writing the physics GRE.PLS when is the deadline for application for fall 2008 session.thinking of applying to some of these schools, U. of Cincinnati
2.U.of Texas at Houston
3.U. of Texas at San antonio
4.Louisiana state University
5.Duke University,North carolina
6.East Carolina University,North carolina
7.U.of Kentucky
8.Wayne state University,Detroit MI
9.Virginia commonwealth University
10.University of Utah.I NEED HELP

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:12 pm

You're question is not one that is easy to answer quickly. I think applying to medical physics programs is fairly competitive, because they don't accept very many applicants. As far as which schools to apply to, I think some schools require the physics GRE, and some strongly recommend it. If you are not planning on taking the physics GRE, then you might want to stick to schools that don't strongly recommend it. Also, you will probably want to take into account whether a program is accredited or not, that could be important down the road when you go to get a job. Also, you might want to have some idea what area of medical physics you are interested in, like medical imaging or radiation oncology. I think pretty much any program that accepts you will also provide funding. Also, do you want to get a PhD or just a masters? Those are some things to think about when deciding where to apply.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 pm

If you look at the statistics for Duke's program you'll see you have essentially 0 chance there.

At any given school your chances of getting financial assistance are slim because medical physics programs don't usually suppor their students. Also, you have to remember that although many schools don't require you to have a physics degree to participate in the medical physics program a physics degree is the best preparation for this type of research. That being said you'll need to show some really outstanding work to be competitive for a position, especially as an international student without a degree in physics. You can probably raise your chances significantly by doing extraordinary on the physics GRE, as many programs don't require it but do recommend it. You probably have a decent shot at some of the smaller state universities like Wayne State or Lousiana but be prepared to fund yourself.