What are your thoughts on my overall situation?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

What are your thoughts on my overall situation?

Postby dnbaker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am

I turned 18 this September, and I'm a senior at Ball State University, graduating in May.

This past year, I maintained a 3.96 GPA over 43 hours of classes, along with a Honors Research Fellowship (Molecular Electronics) last year, a chemistry research program, and a Senior Honors Project. I presented my Fellowship Research at a research conference in Indianapolis.

I will graduate with an honors diploma wth Majors in Physics and Pre-Med with minors in French and Mathematics, and maybe Chemistry, if I can fit in Biochemistry independent study.

GRE General: 640 or 650 Verbal (Can't remember), 800 Quantitative. Took computerized so don't know Analytical yet, but I felt very good about it.

I'm an eagle scout, graduated from High School at age 15 and will graduate from College 3 years after that time, and I am an excellent pianist.

I just got my physics GRE score, 750, 68%. How good/bad is that?

The other thing is that I didn't really shape up until a year ago, and my cumulative GPA is 3.58 now and will be able to be brought up to 3.66 before I graduate.

How will this all look?

The Schools I've applied to are:

HST MEMP through Harvard SEAS
UPenn Biophysics and Molecular Biology
Stanford Bioengineering
Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Biophysics and Computational Biology)
Boston University

I turned in all applications last Monday- 11/26/07, which was 3-7 weeks early for all programs. I hear that it's better for you to be early.

I have some safe schools with later deadlines if I am rejected from all of the above.

Postby twistor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Ball state has a physics program I am interested in. How would you rate your school, dnbaker? I'm curious if it's worth applying to, even as a safety...

Postby quizivex » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 pm

why were you in college so early? it may look good for you that you've done all this at such a young age, and that'd be a plus to grad schools... however, since your GPA and GRE are far below perfect, it may look like you've rushed things.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”