how do schools view taking GRE twice?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

drken

how do schools view taking GRE twice?

Postby drken » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:41 pm

I took the physics GRE back in april (trying to avoid having to take it during fall of senior year). Unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I was hoping to (840). I took it again on Nov 3, and did much better (960). How do schools usually deal with this situation?

I know that UCSB only considers the most recent score; is this the general practice? Or do most schools consider both, or the highest (or lowest)?

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

grae313

Postby grae313 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:06 pm

You're fine, don't worry about it.

Your most recent score is most important. No one is going to give two shits that you got an 840 is April.

quizivex

Postby quizivex » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:09 am

just the fact that you're capable of a 960 makes the 840 irrelevant. you clearly (probably) scored lower in april because you hadn't learned as much physics as you knew in november, and/or had less time to prepare.

i think most of us with high october/november scores would have scored 100 or so points lower if we had to take it in april.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”