GRE scores and admission

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jcab

GRE scores and admission

Post by jcab » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Hello, this is my first post! I´m from Paraguay and I just took the GRE a week ago in Buenos Aires Argentina since they offer only twice a year here in Paraguay (Paper based) and I missed the registration dateline. After taking the test, I got the result from the Quantitative and Verbal part from the test, and I can say one of them went really well and the other really bad. I got a 790/800 in the Quantitative section and 390/800 in the Verbal section. I´m not sure if I should apply with this scores because the Verbal is really low. The thing is that if I want to retake the test I have to travel to Buenos Aires again and besides I´m not sure how much better my score in Verbal will be, that part is really difficult for non english speakers. And another thing is that I could get a lower score in Quantitative. I want to apply to 2 or 3 Universities and I want to get a Masters in Civil Engineering. Any advice will be of great help!

doom

You should be okay, I think

Post by doom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:44 pm

The important thing for you is to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). For foreign students, most schools have a minimum score on that test. You can find these minimums on their websites.

jcab

Post by jcab » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks for the reply! I already took the TOEFL, I got 111 out of 120!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 pm

I second doom, check the minimum TOEFL scores that schools post (http://www.gradschoolshopper.com). If you are well above the minimum I think you are OK.

jcab

Post by jcab » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm well above the minimum TOEFL scores in the universities I would like to apply. I think I'll go ahead and apply then. Thanks again