From Amsterdam to North America. Can I get in?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Coco

From Amsterdam to North America. Can I get in?

Post by Coco » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi there,

I am a Peruvian student who is currently doing a M.Sc. in Theoretical Physics at the University of Amsterdam (the program is entirely in English.) I am doing my thesis in the string theory group, under the supervision of one of its professors. I am thinking of applying to Ph.D. programs in the US and Canada and I just realized today that the last date this year to take the GRE subject is in November! I thought it was in December. That means that I only have 3 months to prepare for the GRE General and Subject!

Here are some of my qualifications:

- Grade: 8.5 / 10 (honors)
- TOEFL: 270 (computer-based)
- Research Experience: master thesis in black holes in string theory.
- Courses taken: QFT, CFT, String Theory, Mathematical Methods, Theoretical Cosmology, General Relavity.
- Two summer schools attended in Trieste and Utrecht
- The letters of recommendation will be from three world-renowned string theorists who work in Amsterdam.

The schools I am thinking to apply to are:

- US: Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Stony Brook, MIT, Austin, Rutgers, Brown.
- Canada: Waterloo, Western Ontario (these two in order to be able to do the research at the Perimeter Institute) and Toronto.

I woul be very grateful if you could provide me some feedback as to what grade I have to score in the GRE subject test in order to have a good chance to get into the US schools? To get into the Canadian ones, I have to score at least 800. Will 3 months be enough to have a good preparation for the subject test and score above 800?

Thanks for the help!

Coco

sophia_xuqing

Hi, Coco

Post by sophia_xuqing » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:49 pm

hi,coco,
I can see that you a have a strong backgroud. And i am sure that you also have very good mastery in those fundamental knowledges.
i think three months is enough for Gre sub . some of the most excellent students in my country , just prepare for no more than a month and then got full score. I am not such good, and also because of the wide range that sub contains, from classical mechanics to modern physics, It really need a sound preparation. But my time is very limited, I can afford no more than 2 hours a day in these three months for GRE SUB.
So dont worry about the time, i am sure you will do a very good job on it.

Regards.
Sophia