I am a Peruvian student who is currently doing a M.Sc. in Theoretical Physics at the University of Amsterdam (the program is entirely in English.) I am doing my thesis in the string theory group, under the supervision of one of its professors. I am thinking of applying to Ph.D. programs in the US and Canada and I just realized today that the last date this year to take the GRE subject is in November! I thought it was in December. That means that I only have 3 months to prepare for the GRE General and Subject!
Here are some of my qualifications:
- Grade: 8.5 / 10 (honors)
- TOEFL: 270 (computer-based)
- Research Experience: master thesis in black holes in string theory.
- Courses taken: QFT, CFT, String Theory, Mathematical Methods, Theoretical Cosmology, General Relavity.
- Two summer schools attended in Trieste and Utrecht
- The letters of recommendation will be from three world-renowned string theorists who work in Amsterdam.
The schools I am thinking to apply to are:
- US: Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Stony Brook, MIT, Austin, Rutgers, Brown.
- Canada: Waterloo, Western Ontario (these two in order to be able to do the research at the Perimeter Institute) and Toronto.
I woul be very grateful if you could provide me some feedback as to what grade I have to score in the GRE subject test in order to have a good chance to get into the US schools? To get into the Canadian ones, I have to score at least 800. Will 3 months be enough to have a good preparation for the subject test and score above 800?
Thanks for the help!