M.S. to Ph.D. ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM

M.S. to Ph.D. ?

Postby VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 am

Hello sir ,
Iam masters in physics with specialization of condesed matter physics, presently working as Assistant proffesor in Engineering college in INDIA. can i join in MS program and convert it to Phd ?

kolahalb

Postby kolahalb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 am

Still I am not master about theses things...and in fact I am an undergrad in your country itself,I wonder how is it possible to "convert" a massters degree into PhD?

grae313

Postby grae313 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

The only way to obtain a Ph.D in physics in the US is to apply to a physics Ph.D. program and be accepted and complete the program.

Grant
site admin

Postby Grant » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 am

Hello VIJAYA KUMAR NANDIGAM,

Some schools offer only a M.S. program in physics with the goal of providing a basis for subsequent Ph.D. study in physics at another university. Some schools offer only a M.S. program in physics with the goal of preparing students for work in industry or for teaching physics in high school.

I recommend reading about the graduate programs offered by various schools:
gradphys/index.shtml

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”