Is a Physics Masters degree at Oxford/Imperial/Cambridge worth it?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mndaniel31

Is a Physics Masters degree at Oxford/Imperial/Cambridge worth it?

Post by mndaniel31 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I am an international student and I got an offer to pursue a PhD in a really good university in the US (it's always among the top 5 in all rankings). I tend to like more experimental physics but I'm not dead set on it. I also got offers to do a theoretical one-year Master's degree in Oxford and some other English universities, but without funding! :( I am international so I have the most expensive tuition fee.

I think I can pay this, using a combination of savings and loans. In the scenario where I have money to spend: is it really worth to pay for the Master's degree and defer my PhD for the next year? or should I just go straight to the PhD? Anyone had a similar experience?

ckitc

Re: Is a Physics Masters degree at Oxford/Imperial/Cambridge worth it?

Post by ckitc » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 am

Even if the masters WAS funded, I'd say go for the PhD now if you're sure that's your goal. I'm honestly surprised you're even asking...PhD spots at top 5 programs don't grow on trees, and there's no guarantee your second try will go as well.

mndaniel31

Post by mndaniel31 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you, ckitc.
ckitc wrote:there's no guarantee your second try will go as well.
I wasn't thinking on trying a second time, I already got a PhD offer and accepted it, so it's easy to postpone it one year without losing it. Maybe I should've been more clear.

ckitc

Post by ckitc » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

mndaniel31 wrote:I wasn't thinking on trying a second time, I already got a PhD offer and accepted it, so it's easy to postpone it one year without losing it. Maybe I should've been more clear.
It is generally a huge no-go to defer an offer and then go to another school in the interim...this isn't what deferments are intended for. They very well might not care, but alternatively they very well might rescind your admission! You should talk to somebody explicitly at the PhD program to see if they're okay with this. (I still think it would be a waste of money though.)