Admit from Purdue University

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ROHAN2104

Admit from Purdue University

Post by ROHAN2104 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

I'm international applicant from India. I'm a Mechanical Engineer but being more interested in Physics (specifically in theory), I decided to switch. I've got an admit from Purdue University with full fee waiver and TA of 17k. My GPA is 3.99/4 and Physics GRE score is 940. But as I don't have any research experience in Physics, I couldn't get an admit from any other better University than Purdue.

So my question is, should I go for Purdue?

Please respond ASAP.

Thanks & Regards.

Ptolemy

Re: Admit from Purdue University

Post by Ptolemy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:06 am

Purdue is a university with good reputation in Physics. Certainly it is not one of the top 10 schools but don't forget that what you become mainly depends on you and not the university you attend. Considering you applied to it, I can deduce that it offers a programme you are interested in. So I don't see why you wouldn't go. Sometimes people are led to believe that they can only become researchers if they attend Harvard or MIT but this is not the case. However, if for any reason you believe that Purdue is not the right place for you (for example if you don't like the place, you think the money is not enough or you don't want to leave your country) don't go just because you were admitted. A gap year can be very productive and beneficial for your life (I have personal experience on that). All in all, don't hesitate just because it's not a top tier school but do hesitate if you don't feel like going for reasons that you find important.