Bachelor in Germany, PhD in the U.S.?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

flut34

Bachelor in Germany, PhD in the U.S.?

Post by flut34 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 am

Hi All,

I'm currently studying in Germany and would like to pursue a PhD in the U.S afterwards. The german bachelor lasts 3 years which means one would need to accomplish enough research, do well in the courses, PGRE and GRE, and have 3 strong LORs, all within 2 years. The bachelor in Germany is primarily made to focus on coursework and then in masters begin with research. This would most likely hurt my application since it's relatively difficult to find meaningful research positions with only minimal physics knowledge.

Does anyone have any advice or tips? Or, does anyone know someone (perhaps you) that did something similar? I thought about allocating a total of four years to the bachelors and leaving the last year for research and GRE studies. But of course, if I prefer the 3 year route. Any thoughts?