Physics at Georgia Tech vs Purdue

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

skipper_1308

Physics at Georgia Tech vs Purdue

Post by skipper_1308 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi everyone!

I am mainly interested in condensed matter theory/other theory oriented sciences. I did not do much research during undergrad (something that I regret :? ) and I have received admission offers from Purdue University and Georgia Tech. I have been doing a lot of reading on the departments of physics at both universities, and frankly, I am only becoming more confused. While I am currently interested in CMT, I would also like to explore other areas of research, and fortunately, both places give me 2 years of TA support, before I should choose an advisor, giving me the flexibility to choose.

What is the general reputation of Purdue and Georgia Tech (and some particular information in theoretical fields, if possible?) I believe that Georgia Tech has a stronger CME department, but it also does good research in Gravitational waves, etc. What are your views on these places, and which might be more suited to my interests?

Thank you for your help!