Northwestern admission decision (physics in 2017)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

rizard

Northwestern admission decision (physics in 2017)

Post by rizard » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 pm

I don`t see many postings both on this website and on gradcafe.
well, previous year (2016), there were several acceptance even on April.
However, I can see only 6 offers in 2015 on February.

I think that the university may have provided a number of acceptances in alternative years.
Thus, It may mean that 2017 can be hopeless to get acceptances.

How do you think about this?

Should I wait for NW hopefully?????

I heard that there will be second wave BUT nobody says that the second wave implies sending out only acceptance.

too confused.......

QFluctuation

Re: Northwestern admission decision (physics in 2017)

Post by QFluctuation » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:48 pm

I attended their Open House in March.9.

First, I don't know if they reduced the number of offers, but the number of people in Open House seemed normal. If I remembered it correctly, they sent out more than 40 offers this year, and 20 of them were at the Open House, which is around the same comparing to data on Grad School Shopper. But NW is not a big department, so it might not be a good idea to estimate the total number of offers based on the results posted online, because small system means large fluctuation. The department is actually expanding rapidly and well-funded, and the application process remains very selective (previously 14% on Grad School Shopper, and lower this year according to people there, but it seems similar in some other schools)

Second, I did hear that they changed their strategy of sending out offers. They turned to be more cautious, and maybe that is the reason that offers were sent out slowly. But again, there could be fluctuations: maybe sometimes several people happened to decline the offers and they had to send out more offers in April and sometimes too many people accepted offers very quickly so they didn't consider people on the wait-list.

Third, have you ever contacted any POI? Maybe they can give you more info, since it seems faculty members in NW are very involved in the application review process.

Last but not least, it is definitely not the end of game! If NW is your top choice, or preferable to offers you have got so far, don't give up now. There are still two weeks left and it is your time! Good luck for you!

rizard

Post by rizard » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 pm

QFluctuation wrote:I attended their Open House in March.9.

First, I don't know if they reduced the number of offers, but the number of people in Open House seemed normal. If I remembered it correctly, they sent out more than 40 offers this year, and 20 of them were at the Open House, which is around the same comparing to data on Grad School Shopper. But NW is not a big department, so it might not be a good idea to estimate the total number of offers based on the results posted online, because small system means large fluctuation. The department is actually expanding rapidly and well-funded, and the application process remains very selective (previously 14% on Grad School Shopper, and lower this year according to people there, but it seems similar in some other schools)

Second, I did hear that they changed their strategy of sending out offers. They turned to be more cautious, and maybe that is the reason that offers were sent out slowly. But again, there could be fluctuations: maybe sometimes several people happened to decline the offers and they had to send out more offers in April and sometimes too many people accepted offers very quickly so they didn't consider people on the wait-list.

Third, have you ever contacted any POI? Maybe they can give you more info, since it seems faculty members in NW are very involved in the application review process.

Last but not least, it is definitely not the end of game! If NW is your top choice, or preferable to offers you have got so far, don't give up now. There are still two weeks left and it is your time! Good luck for you!
Thanks for your answer!!!!!

I will strongly refer your answers.

By the way, I have not contacted with my POI. I just submitted my application....well, should I mail to my POI even it seems too late??

AlexisPrel

Post by AlexisPrel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi, I am in a similar situation as the original poster. What do you mean by this?
QFluctuation wrote:There are still two weeks left and it is your time!
Is there an official deadline for Northwestern to send out admissions ? 

rizard

Post by rizard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 am

AlexisPrel wrote:Hi, I am in a similar situation as the original poster. What do you mean by this?
QFluctuation wrote:There are still two weeks left and it is your time!
Is there an official deadline for Northwestern to send out admissions ? 
I think that the writer just wants to say that every result may be released whitin 2 weeks because the enrollment deadline may be around mid-April.

I know that there is no deadline for notification but, at some point, whitin 2 weeks from now, the results will be sent out to their applicants.

Well, I saw an admission poster from gradcafe, which was astronomy admission for U (international student with US degree)
Whether this poster is truth or not, offers will be sent out in this week in coming week. I will wait the result until April 15th.

Thus, we need to wait for the admission outcomes while doing other things like hobby, Overwatch.

Good luck friend. I hope that we can see in NWU dpt of physics on September :)