2018 Prospective Applicant's Mathematical Physics Profile

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Junaid123

2018 Prospective Applicant's Mathematical Physics Profile

Post by Junaid123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi,

I'll be looking to apply to math graduate programs in the US next year (2018). I'll be looking to specialize in mathematical physics. The problem is, I am an Economics and Mathematics major who started studying physics and mathematics from my 2nd year onward. I got into it very late, and given that I want to do mathematical physics (naively, both math and physics!), I am unsure whether I am prepared for it; or will I get accepted to top-middle tier colleges.

Here's a post in spirit of posts in the threads in the "Applicants Profile, Year XYZ." This is my profile as of now.

Undergrad Institution: International (Pakistan)
Major(s): Economics and Mathematics
Minor(s): Physics (12 courses, won't be offered a minor on paper as I didn't take a few freshman year courses but took the advanced versions)
GPA: ~3.84.
Type of Student: Domestic International, Male

GRE Revised General Test: I still have to take the test.
Q: N/A
V: N/A
W: N/A

Grades: A's in all 7-8 math classes, including an A-; 8/9 A's in all physics classes uptil now. I am enrolled in 3 more classes in my last term.

Programs Applying (Intended): Master's programs and PhD's in Mathematical Physics. Primarily, I may want to use a master's to prove myself before trying to get into more exclusive programs for PhD.

Research Experience: Worked on a quantum physics paper in the summer before senior year; the paper is up on arXiv.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA since sophomore year. I have TA-ed 2 courses in the economics department; three courses in the mathematics department (set theory and real analysis 1, twice) and one course in the physics department (mechanics).

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Studied a bit of QFT with a professor in summer of junior year.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Studying material with a math professor outside of class. For example, I am trying to do multivariable analysis with an instructor right now. The plan is to continue studying more math outside of class during my year off.

Given this is my profile at the end of my senior year and I wish to apply in a year's time (next cycle), it'd be great if someone, especially who has experience applying recently, ball park my stats and help me guide/aim for appropriate mathematical physics programs.

AliMustafa

Re: 2018 Prospective Applicant's Mathematical Physics Profile

Post by AliMustafa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:14 am

You've saved my life

สโบเบท