WAITLISTS

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

aritraghsh09

WAITLISTS

Post by aritraghsh09 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

I could not find a separate thread dedicated entirely to waitlists and hence this thread. This thread is meant to address all sorts of queries/news etc regarding waitlists.

Different schools have different policies on waitlists [ like whether they have one at all or not; whether they invite waitlisted students to open houses; whether they make offers from the waitlist only before April 15 and most importantly whether in past years they have made offers from a waitlist].

I have one offer and am on 4 waitlists!! So, if you are now on waitlist or had been in previous years, it would be nice to share some info along the lines posted above and how you are planning to make your decision/how you made your decisions in past years.

I am an international student currently doing a physics masters in the Netherlands and my acceptance/waitlists are [ all for astronomy programs ]

Accepted
UIUC

Waitlists
Yale
Columbia
U Washington
Penn State

Both Columbia and U Washington claim that their waitlists are "small". Penn State seems to have a long waitlist this year.
Columbia invites waitlisted people to their open house, but not on the same day as accepted students.
And lastly, none of these programs are promising any updates much before 15th April.

I don't know of many people who have been accepted from waitlists; it would be great if some other waitlisted people can share their experiences as well.
Last edited by aritraghsh09 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

aewais13

Re: WAITLISTS

Post by aewais13 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Has Penn State sent you an email explicitly saying that you are on the waiting list ?

aritraghsh09

Post by aritraghsh09 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:50 am

aewais13 wrote:Has Penn State sent you an email explicitly saying that you are on the waiting list ?
Yes

Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:03 pm

I haven't recieved anything from Penn State. Does anyone know if that implies a rejection?

hotcheese

Post by hotcheese » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 am

I am also an international student, who focus on CMT. I was informed that I am on the waitlist of UMN since 2/17.

But until now, I check the mailbox and their website every day, no final decision is made. :? :?

I know some of the students who applied UMN Ph.D. have got the offer already ( and most of them will reject it because of the cold weather :wink: ). So if you don't want to go, it would be nice to reject it as soon as possible. UMN is my dream school. :D