Haven't heard back from schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

akander

Haven't heard back from schools

Post by akander » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:22 pm

So I've applied to the following:

MIT
Princeton
Harvard
Cornell
Maryland
OSU
UIUC
Uchicago
Stanford
UCSB
Berkeley
Caltech

And have only heard back from OSU. I saw that Cornell, UCSB, Chicago, and UIUC have sent out quite a few offers. Should I be worried if I haven't heard anything? Thanks, and sorry if this seems like an overreaction, but I'm just anxious right now.

badgalriri

Re: Haven't heard back from schools

Post by badgalriri » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:49 pm

which subfield did you apply for? UIUC usually sends out multiple rounds of offers. their first round went out at the end of january, and they usually take a pretty big class. gradcafe shows cornell also sent out a bunch of rejections so if you didn't get one of those i think you still have a shot. not sure about UCSB and UChicago, but i think most of the rest haven't sent out their first round yet. at any rate, i wouldn't be discouraged. it's still early!

eddie.ss

Post by eddie.ss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:58 pm

I feel you ... :(

Are you an international student? I have't seen a "I" type of admission at grad cafe or this page for UIUC for example (Í'm still waiting for that!).
Stanford Applied Physics just sent some acceptances today, but Berkeley and Stanford (Physics) haven't.

I'm very anxious too ...

akander

Post by akander » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Nope, I'm a domestic. I've applied to CMT/CME everywhere.

Edit: BTW, where did you see the Cornell rejections on gradcafe? I just see acceptances.

badgalriri

Post by badgalriri » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm

oops, i did a search for cornell physics and misread the year on last year's rejections. but based on last year's results, they send out two waves of acceptances in early feb and then rejections in mid to late feb.

edit: also, i applied for CME too! what kind of research specifically are you interested in?
Last edited by badgalriri on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kartof123

Post by Kartof123 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm in the same boat, akander. I haven't heard from UCSB or UChicago. Hopefully there will be good news for both of us soon! :D

akander

Post by akander » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

badgalriri wrote:oops, i did a search for cornell physics and misread the year on last year's rejections. but based on last year's results, they send out two waves of acceptances in early feb and then rejections in mid to late feb.

edit: also, i applied for CME too! what kind of research specifically are you interested in?
In CME mostly quantum systems/devices. I'd also be interested in quantum structures and transport.

Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:04 pm

I am an international student and also havent recieved any decision letter although 3 of the universities I applied to, have sent out some acceptances. I can understand how you feel and I feel the same anxiety but we need to wait and not jump to conclusions that can only make things worse. Good luck and stay optimistic! Its still early!

blinkmiss

Post by blinkmiss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm an international (with US undergrad) in CME too, haven't heard from any of the ones on your list except UIUC and OSU. Got into Cornell AP, and just got rejected by Stanford AP. Getting anxious about SB particularly, and even SD which I had considered a bit of a "safety".

muonneutrino

Post by muonneutrino » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:29 pm

If it helps, I just got accepted to Chicago today so they're still making offers. Also, I've seen few to no decisions from Princeton, Maryland, or Stanford yet on here or gradcafe (except Applied Physics).

bunnysid

Post by bunnysid » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:19 am

I haven't heard from a single school yet. Absolutely nothing. Already I see many applicants have received some news (rejection/acceptance/waitlist) from Minnesota where I have applied. So basically it doesn't look good. I can feel for you. Congrats for OSU.