Preparing for interview

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

cosmosis

Preparing for interview

Post by cosmosis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 am

I received an email yesterday from a top-tier physics program with an astronomy division (think Boston) for an interview. I am pretty excited to hear back so early but also a little anxious at the same time. The interview is supposed to be 10 minutes long. Any advice or tips for Skype interviews?

ChelseaZ

Re: Preparing for interview

Post by ChelseaZ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

I'm wondering the same. Received the same email as you did.
Not sure whether the invitation implies a higher chance of getting in...I feel like it is more for splitter?

SpaceFace33

Post by SpaceFace33 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Also got the same email. Only ten minutes doesnt seem too bad, but I also wonder what percentage of applicants they interview

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:16 pm

ChelseaZ wrote:I'm wondering the same. Received the same email as you did.
Not sure whether the invitation implies a higher chance of getting in...I feel like it is more for splitter?
Yeah I was wondering the same. Then again, I got my email on Jan 4, which in my opinion is pretty early. I am trying to remain positive and hoping that interview means a higher likelihood of getting in. Based on GradSchoolShopper 911 students applied last year and 97 were admitted. Good luck to everyone who got invited!

ChelseaZ

Post by ChelseaZ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am

cosmosis wrote:
Yeah I was wondering the same. Then again, I got my email on Jan 4, which in my opinion is pretty early. I am trying to remain positive and hoping that interview means a higher likelihood of getting in. Based on GradSchoolShopper 911 students applied last year and 97 were admitted. Good luck to everyone who got invited!
How was your interview? I'm doing mine tomorrow.

SpaceFace33

Post by SpaceFace33 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 am

ChelseaZ wrote:
cosmosis wrote:
How was your interview? I'm doing mine tomorrow.

Yeah I'm doing mine Friday, wouldn't mind hearing some feedback :P

queenbee

Post by queenbee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:42 pm

I had my interview last week (sounds like same school), and it went well. It was pretty relaxed, I didn't feel like I was being grilled, more just a chance for them to fill in any blanks in my application and ask some questions. The two professors were very friendly.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 pm

My video was not doing so great so that was a bummer :( They basically asked me the two questions they had mentioned in the email and then the time was up. I don't know how I feel :? Good luck to the rest

SpaceFace33

Post by SpaceFace33 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Just had my interview, seemed to go well but who knows. Very casual conversation though, friendly interviewer.

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Does anyone know if not getting an interview means you've got no chance of getting in?