Some Astronomy programs dropping Physics GRE requirement

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

TakeruK

Some Astronomy programs dropping Physics GRE requirement

Postby TakeruK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Hello! I just want to share some news regarding Astronomy PhD programs in the US that are removing the Physics GRE requirement for admissions this year. My own advice is for students planning to apply to US Astronomy PhD programs this year to continue any existing plans to take the Physics GRE but if the school(s) you are interested in come up on this list, you don't have to report it (or you may not be able to report it), so save your 4 free score reports for other schools. My plan is to regularly update this list.

Astronomy PhD programs that do not require the Physics GRE score, but allow for optional reporting, for the Fall 2017 admission season:
Last updated Sep 14, 2016

Astronomy PhD programs that do not accept the Physics GRE score (not even as optional reporting), for the Fall 2017 admission season:
Last updated Sep 14, 2016

--- Read below for more context ---

Here's a brief history, in case you were curious or didn't already know:

In December 2015, the President of the American Astronomical Society (AAS), published this draft letter [https://aas.org/posts/news/2015/12/presidents-column-rethinking-role-gre], indicating her stance against the use of Physics GRE (and General GRE) scores in the graduate admissions process. In this letter, along with the many references cited, the AAS leadership plans to urge Astronomy departments across the country to limit the use of GRE scores in the admissions process.

In January 2016, at the annual AAS meeting, the Council officially voted to adopt this draft letter as their official stance.

Since then, many people have been working at their schools to reduce or eliminate the use of Physics GRE (and sometimes GRE) scores. In the last few weeks, schools started announcing these decisions for the Fall 2017 year.

Influential articles (cited in the AAS letter) that lead many people to this decision:

Levesque, E., Bezanson, R., Tremblay, G. (2015) "Physics GRE Scores of Prize Postdoctoral Fellows in Astronomy" http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.03709

Miller, C. & Stassun, K.G. (2014). A test that fails: A standard test for admission to graduate school misses potential winners, Nature Careers 510, 303 http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... -303a.html
Last edited by TakeruK on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

milkywayguy

Re: Some Astronomy programs dropping Physics GRE requirement

Postby milkywayguy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:37 pm

It's great to see more astronomy programs dropping the PGRE requirement! Thank you so much for bringing this to attention :)

TakeruK

Postby TakeruK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:49 pm

milkywayguy wrote:It's great to see more astronomy programs dropping the PGRE requirement! Thank you so much for bringing this to attention :)

No problem---for those who checked earlier, I now have links to official websites that show the requirement is gone. There was a push by many other people to get the info out ASAP so that people can use this knowledge when entering the test this Saturday.

Maybe next year, we can work on getting rid of the General GRE too :)

Cosmos1

Postby Cosmos1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:28 pm

From UC Santa Cruz's website:

"While we require the GRE General Test, and recommend the GRE Physics Test, we do not employ a threshold for consideration."

One more to add to the list!

queenbee

Postby queenbee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 pm

I must have been looking at an old requirements list for UT Austin because I had on my spreadsheet "general and physics GRE required". Oops. (I've already submitted them.)

astroprof

Postby astroprof » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:01 pm

This is a rapidly evolving development, with more departments revising their requirements as we approach admissions season. You may want to check department web sites again during the next few weeks, as I expect several more programs will decide to drop the PGRE requirement for the 2016-17 admissions cycle. Since these decisions are happening in real-time, the department web sites will be more up-to-date than gradschoolshopper.com (or even the University's on-line application form).

TakeruK

Postby TakeruK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 pm

If anyone hears more about other schools, please do post them here for others to benefit. I will also update my original post when the official department website updates (or if I have something written that shows the change, e.g. an email or tweet from a department representative) because I want to err on the side of caution and not mislead anyone. (e.g. all the info I can find from Santa Cruz still says they want to consider GRE scores)

alfredthered

Postby alfredthered » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Vanderbilt's Astrophysics program does not consider nor accept physics GRE scores for consideration.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”