Trapped without options

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

shox

Trapped without options

Post by shox » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

I have a 3.05 GPA with a strong trend (last two semesters on the deans list). I also have 3 years of research experience, 2 at my school and a summer at a world top 5 institution, but no publications. I really want to work on quantum technology, but I seriously doubt my chances of getting into a PhD research program of credible quality. So, my next thought was that I would apply for a masters program. Unfortunately, I'm dirt poor and $60,000 in debt already, so I can't afford it. I feel like my chances at a scholarship for any masters program are nearly nil. So, I find myself with no path forward. I feel hopeless and lost, like all my time has been wasted. Where do I go from here? How do I go from here?

moon

Re: Trapped without options

Post by moon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:09 am

dont give up. what's your letters of rec situation look like, and what's your GRE? other things on your app can make up for your weak points

that aside, you might have to be open to more options. what kind of quantum tech are you into? novel materials? theory?