Will school rescind offer due to summary offense?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

CoopDog

Will school rescind offer due to summary offense?

Post by CoopDog » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I recently got into my dream school and one of the top schools in the world for Physics graduate school. However, I have a summary offense on my record for disorderly conduct from 5 years ago that is in the process of getting expunged. The school is not aware of this, since they did not ask about it on the application. I am aware that a background check is performed upon acceptance of an offer. Is it likely that my summary offense would be grounds for reneging my offer? I need to know before I decline my other offers, just in case I get this offer taken away. Thanks!

googy

Re: Will school rescind offer due to summary offense?

Post by googy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:48 pm

I doubt it, but if I were you I'd wait until the last moment possible. Best case the offense gets expunged and nobody is the wiser. Worst case you're still at the same position in 4/15 as you are at now and you lose nothing by waiting. It will probably screw the rest of us with decision dates but you gotta take care of yourself first.