Decision Dates

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby heisenbergh23 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 am

To the ones who are still waiting from CMU: they will send emails with final decision later this week or early next week. Sounded like they are sending wave of rejection this week.

Any update from Penn State?

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 am

For those still waiting on Columbia:

Michael Adan wrote:Unfortunately no decision can be confirmed at this time regarding your application. The program is still finalizing the process and I am told it will be complete within two weeks. An email will be sent to you with the details.


So we will get a decision in the next two weeks (acceptance or rejection) unless one is waitlisted.

User avatar
Sats
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Sats » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Finally heard back from MSU, er well, the website anyways. Maybe they're finally sending out rejections? Man this admit season ain't doing me any favors :(

djh101
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby djh101 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Rejected from Boulder. Well, that's the end for me.
Last edited by djh101 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Now, go claim your rejections from CU-Boulder if you haven't already...

mbgnjasb
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:00 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby mbgnjasb » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:34 am

Is there anybody here who has not heard back from Duke ?....

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Now, go claim your rejections from Berkeley if you haven't already...

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 pm

heisenbergh23 wrote:To the ones who are still waiting from CMU: they will send emails with final decision later this week or early next week. Sounded like they are sending wave of rejection this week.

Any update from Penn State?


And will CMU start admitting people off the waitlist in that timeframe?

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby heisenbergh23 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Catria wrote:
heisenbergh23 wrote:To the ones who are still waiting from CMU: they will send emails with final decision later this week or early next week. Sounded like they are sending wave of rejection this week.

Any update from Penn State?


And will CMU start admitting people off the waitlist in that timeframe?

I have no idea. I was only told that emails with final decision will be sent out 'later this week', or early next week. We might receive an email either today, or on Monday.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:14 am

Now the whole trio that I once thought to be the easiest ones (Tufts, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth) has rejected me... looks like their small departmental sizes did not help at all.

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Would NOW be a good time to start emailing schools that have not given me a decision yet? I noticed many people already started doing that... but today is exactly a month from April 15th.

Two of the schools I have applied to have sent out acceptances as well as rejections.

So far I have three acceptances, and two of them are in physics. I'm waiting on 4 more physics schools and another application for non physics. I feel like just last week I was thinking "eff it, I'll just wait it out". Until one of my schools, which is apparently not a part of the council, needs me to make a decision in 2 weeks! :cry:

wompwomp
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby wompwomp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:Would NOW be a good time to start emailing schools that have not given me a decision yet? I noticed many people already started doing that... but today is exactly a month from April 15th.

Two of the schools I have applied to have sent out acceptances as well as rejections.

So far I have three acceptances, and two of them are in physics. I'm waiting on 4 more physics schools and another application for non physics. I feel like just last week I was thinking "eff it, I'll just wait it out". Until one of my schools, which is apparently not a part of the council, needs me to make a decision in 2 weeks! :cry:


I'd like an answer to this too. Should I email the schools I haven't heard anything at all from? So far I have 7 rejections, and I'm waiting on 7 other schools...

In other news, UIUC seems to have sent out some more rejections. I'm still waiting with bated breath.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby bfollinprm » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 pm

It's totally fine to start contacting the admin at schools that haven't contacted you yet. It's clearly important to know how likely it is you'd get admitted, etc, and I'd imagine you'd like to visit the school(s) you would be admitted to. You'd have to plan those trips now-ish if you want them done before decision deadline.

I'd contact them and say something like
Dear <Front office staff person>,

I was wondering if I could get an update on the status of my application. While I'm excited about the opportunity to enroll at <school>, I've already received offers at <other schools>. Since grad school is an important life decision, I'd really like to be able to schedule a campus visit before deciding where I matriculate. Is it possible to find out if I'm likely to be accepted at this juncture?

Thanks for your time,
<name>


EDIT: and if you don't currently have any acceptances, it's a trickier thing to manage. You probably don't really want to tell them that, but your need to know is stronger. If you don't get any this admissions cycle, you have to find something else to do for a year, e.g. a job or lab research opportunity. That search needs to happen now-ish as well. Communicating that need without sounding desperate is probably a little tough, but some wordsmithing should get you there.

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 pm

bfollinprm wrote:It's totally fine to start contacting the admin at schools that haven't contacted you yet. It's clearly important to know how likely it is you'd get admitted, etc, and I'd imagine you'd like to visit the school(s) you would be admitted to. You'd have to plan those trips now-ish if you want them done before decision deadline.

I'd contact them and say something like
Dear <Front office staff person>,

I was wondering if I could get an update on the status of my application. While I'm excited about the opportunity to enroll at <school>, I've already received offers at <other schools>. Since grad school is an important life decision, I'd really like to be able to schedule a campus visit before deciding where I matriculate. Is it possible to find out if I'm likely to be accepted at this juncture?

Thanks for your time,
<name>


EDIT: and if you don't currently have any acceptances, it's a trickier thing to manage. You probably don't really want to tell them that, but your need to know is stronger. If you don't get any this admissions cycle, you have to find something else to do for a year, e.g. a job or lab research opportunity. That search needs to happen now-ish as well. Communicating that need without sounding desperate is probably a little tough, but some wordsmithing should get you there.


Thank you for the response!! ALso, thanks for a template of an email. I have been wracking my brain for quite a while figuring out whether I should email or not/ what I should email.

wompwomp wrote:I'd like an answer to this too. Should I email the schools I haven't heard anything at all from? So far I have 7 rejections, and I'm waiting on 7 other schools...

In other news, UIUC seems to have sent out some more rejections. I'm still waiting with bated breath.


I got rejected from UIUC yesterday! Take it as good news that you have not heard from them =).

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Waitlist spots have started coming out of Columbia... it's not looking good for me (and for anyone who still have to hear from Columbia)

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:36 am

UPenn just rejected me (and a whole bunch of rejections to follow for other people) :twisted:

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43 am

Catria wrote:UPenn just rejected me (and a whole bunch of rejections to follow for other people) :twisted:


I'm sorry about the UPenn rejection. I don't think they have accepted many students in Hep-th since the past two years. Hep-th in general has become increasingly competitive these days that it so unpredictable... Good luck to you where ever you go.

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby blackmass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:53 pm

Curious if anyone has heard from Arizona State Astro? My profile still says "In Review."

irezumidragon
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby irezumidragon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 pm

blackmass wrote:Curious if anyone has heard from Arizona State Astro? My profile still says "In Review."


I haven't heard anything either and still have the "in review" status. I called and they gave me an email address to send to. The person I emailed said: "We are still reviewing applications and will continue to do so through mid-April, probably. If you’d like, you can always contact the prospective faculty advisors you listed on your application to see if they are considering students for admission."

I didn't bother contacting faculty. It would be nice to hear from them one way or another, but I have an offer I'd probably pick over ASU, so I'm not terribly motivated to pester them since I clearly wasn't a first pick for them.

blackmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby blackmass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:31 pm

irezumidragon wrote:
blackmass wrote:Curious if anyone has heard from Arizona State Astro? My profile still says "In Review."


I haven't heard anything either and still have the "in review" status. I called and they gave me an email address to send to. The person I emailed said: "We are still reviewing applications and will continue to do so through mid-April, probably. If you’d like, you can always contact the prospective faculty advisors you listed on your application to see if they are considering students for admission."

I didn't bother contacting faculty. It would be nice to hear from them one way or another, but I have an offer I'd probably pick over ASU, so I'm not terribly motivated to pester them since I clearly wasn't a first pick for them.


I hear you. That's sorta where I'm at. I haven't heard much from these boards about having heard from them one way or another, so I was just curious. Thanks for the info!

ssssspace
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby ssssspace » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:57 pm

irezumidragon wrote:
blackmass wrote:Curious if anyone has heard from Arizona State Astro? My profile still says "In Review."


I haven't heard anything either and still have the "in review" status. I called and they gave me an email address to send to. The person I emailed said: "We are still reviewing applications and will continue to do so through mid-April, probably. If you’d like, you can always contact the prospective faculty advisors you listed on your application to see if they are considering students for admission."

I didn't bother contacting faculty. It would be nice to hear from them one way or another, but I have an offer I'd probably pick over ASU, so I'm not terribly motivated to pester them since I clearly wasn't a first pick for them.





I emailed and got the same thing. Emailed prospective advisor (about two weeks ago) and haven't heard anything back. It's not a high priority for me either, but considering how early their application deadline was, it's irritating how they're just taking their sweet time to deliberate.

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby heisenbergh23 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 am

Carnegie Mellon told me more than a week ago that I should get an email by last week's weekend or early this week. I haven't got any. Such a liars!

orion43
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby orion43 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Does anyone know of UC Irvine has sent out all the offers for astronomy yet?

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:17 am

heisenbergh23 wrote:Carnegie Mellon told me more than a week ago that I should get an email by last week's weekend or early this week. I haven't got any. Such a liars!


Are they going to mix all the rejections off the waitlist with the regular rejects? Or there is still a chance you're on some hidden waitlist, with some nonzero chance of acceptance off it?

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby heisenbergh23 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:27 am

Catria wrote:
heisenbergh23 wrote:Carnegie Mellon told me more than a week ago that I should get an email by last week's weekend or early this week. I haven't got any. Such a liars!


Are they going to mix all the rejections off the waitlist with the regular rejects? Or there is still a chance you're on some hidden waitlist, with some nonzero chance of acceptance off it?

I have no clue, and no hope anymore. I am tired of them. They don't even reply to my email now. Why the heck are they taking so much time to notify - their deadline was 15th of December?

Cho'bal
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:23 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Cho'bal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 am

I wonder what's taking Austin so long. Seems like my application is in review forever.

seeyouauntie
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby seeyouauntie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 am

Cho'bal wrote:I wonder what's taking Austin so long. Seems like my application is in review forever.

I'm still waiting too. Applications were due December 1st. That was forever ago.

Cho'bal
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:23 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Cho'bal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:24 am

seeyouauntie wrote:
Cho'bal wrote:I wonder what's taking Austin so long. Seems like my application is in review forever.

I'm still waiting too. Applications were due December 1st. That was forever ago.


It's funny how this year's processes in many schools are taking longer than before. From last year's records of TGC I was naively expecting to hear back from everywhere around mid-March.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:15 am

I think political uncertainty in civilian scientific policy may account for part of the delays...

heisenbergh23
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby heisenbergh23 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

Has anyone recently heard from Carnegie Mellon or Penn State? They don't even reply to my email.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Columbia rejections have been released...

orion43
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby orion43 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I emailed CMU twice to check, and after the second email they told me there is little chance I get in.... they did not send any official rejections though... so rude!

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:30 am

Now, anyone who still haven't heard from McGill at this point: go claim your rejections!

EDIT: Some waitlistees at CMU had their decisions released...

flobadobadie
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby flobadobadie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am

Has anyone else heard nothing from UPenn? I applied for hep-th. Four months is the gestation period of a beaver, not a PhD decision.

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

flobadobadie wrote:Has anyone else heard nothing from UPenn? I applied for hep-th. Four months is the gestation period of a beaver, not a PhD decision.


Now inquire about your application status to Mrs. Minnick, or even Mr. Trodden...

flobadobadie
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby flobadobadie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Catria wrote:
flobadobadie wrote:Has anyone else heard nothing from UPenn? I applied for hep-th. Four months is the gestation period of a beaver, not a PhD decision.


Now inquire about your application status to Mrs. Minnick, or even Mr. Trodden...


I love the smell of rejection in the morning.

djh101
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby djh101 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Rejected from Washington (after being waitlisted early March).

wompwomp
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby wompwomp » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Nothing new from UIUC?

This is freaking me out a little bit...

flobadobadie
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby flobadobadie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm

21st rejection today. Was wank, Stony Brook would have been good. Haha 980 pgre, masters from Cambridge, two papers, so it goes. Brandeis or bust. Good luck to the poor sods with no offers.

shep23
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby shep23 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Johns Hopkins Astronomy has decided to finally grace us with rejections 5 days before the deadline.

djh101
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby djh101 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Officially attending USC! Good luck with your decisions, everyone!

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Now rejected off the waitlist at WUSTL :( ... then again it would have required Ferrer to take me on as a RA from day one to make me go to WUSTL over Minnesota

EDIT: Now rejected from the second waitlist, CMU, too

wompwomp
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby wompwomp » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:19 pm

11 rejections and counting. Waiting on 3 more schools. And it's April 15 already ~

seeyouauntie
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby seeyouauntie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 am

Still nothing from UT Austin. The application deadline was December 1st. I submitted everything properly and they didn't even care to reject me or respond to the email I sent asking about my application status in mid March ( it was polite and I only sent one to avoid annoying them ). I felt like I had a realistic chance of being admitted (I have decent test scores and research experience so my application wasn't horrible or anything). Luckily I was admitted to another school that ended up being a good fit. I'm not bitter, just disappointed. Mostly making this post as a warning to future applicants, you may be ignored entirely for no obvious reason.

I've noticed a trend with a few schools (UT Austin included) that have very poor organization and/or communication throughout the application process. Maybe we should make a list of potentially problematic schools to inform future applicants.

PathIntegrals92
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby PathIntegrals92 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:19 pm

USC and Rutgers did not bother to reject me...

Edit: I never got an email but I checked my status and I was rejected from Rutgers.

Sanhedrin
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Sanhedrin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:18 pm

seeyouauntie wrote:Still nothing from UT Austin. The application deadline was December 1st. I submitted everything properly and they didn't even care to reject me or respond to the email I sent asking about my application status in mid March ( it was polite and I only sent one to avoid annoying them ). I felt like I had a realistic chance of being admitted (I have decent test scores and research experience so my application wasn't horrible or anything).


I've also heard nothing and my one request for an update on my status didn't receive a reply. I understand that the committee's busy and all, and that schools will keep a waitlist right up until April 15 when all the acceptances are sorted out, but from the gradcafe postings it looks like UT Austin hasn't gotten back on the majority of applications. It looks like they were more on top of things in previous years.

loser2winner
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby loser2winner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:23 am

rev
Last edited by loser2winner on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ne10
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:11 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Ne10 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:27 am

Does any one know when a university issues I20, or at least initiates the procedure towards an I20 ?

Catria
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Catria » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 am

Ne10 wrote:Does any one know when a university issues I20, or at least initiates the procedure towards an I20 ?


It depends on when you submit the financial information; your offer letter, while necessary, is not sufficient.

Ne10
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:11 am

Re: Decision Dates

Postby Ne10 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am

Catria wrote:
Ne10 wrote:Does any one know when a university issues I20, or at least initiates the procedure towards an I20 ?


It depends on when you submit the financial information; your offer letter, while necessary, is not sufficient.



Thanks.

Does the graduate department initiate this procedure or should I send them an email?




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest