Online Courses and their importance in admissions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Ne10

Online Courses and their importance in admissions

Postby Ne10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:34 am

I am a Junior(3rd year) in my bachelor's in engineering in India. I have taken many online courses(some of which I have certificates for) from platforms like Coursera, Stanford Online,et al. ; many of which have the subject matter such as to cover up the basic prerequisites given by most colleges for PhD admission. For example, I have taken a course in QM conducted by Stanford Online (and also have a certificate of completion) which was pretty rigorous and covered almost all of the syllabus of QM taken in bachelors.

I want to know how much, if any, weight-age do the admissions committee give to such certificates. Will it be beneficial when I apply for PhD or am I just wasting my time taking these online courses ??

torch000

Re: Online Courses and their importance in admissions

Postby torch000 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they put zero weight on these certificates. These online courses are for
your benefit only to learn the material. I am not saying these courses are useless, I've used many of them to study up on the material before actually taking one of those courses in residence.

Ne10

Postby Ne10 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:05 am

Awww dont say that ..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyone else who might know something about this ??

bfollinprm

Postby bfollinprm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:43 am

they're useful in that they help you learn things. They're not going to get you into grad school just by being added to your CV.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”