Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Omnitron310

Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

Post by Omnitron310 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey there. I was just wondering, has anyone recieved offers from unis which they didn't submit their General GRE scores to? As it stands, I still haven't submitted General GRE scores to most of the unis I applied to, but I have recived an offer from one, even without it.

photomagnetic

Re: Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

Post by photomagnetic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:30 pm

i dont think so, maybe domestics.

my verbal score is a bit low and 5-6 schools asked me why so.
it creates doubts in their minds. skype interviews/visiting school cleared the air.
general gre is bull tbh, when i start doing TA i'll give lectures in shakespearean english...

tweetie_brid

Post by tweetie_brid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm

I actually was verbally offered a spot if I applied without General or Pgre. They said they wanted me to take some upper level undergrad courses first though.

I was coming from a private catholic undergrad university, to an unranked small state school.

I took the general anyway , and will take the PGRE in april.

I wanted to put my best foot forward, and also maybe get some fellowhips.

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:38 pm

As long as you don't completely bomb it, as in get below maybe the 75% in quantitative and get a verbal score that suggests you may have problems with basic literacy, no one cares about the general GRE in physics. I have been told this by many different people and have actually seen data that shows pretty much no correlation between GRE scores and acceptance rates.