Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Omnitron310

Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

Postby Omnitron310 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey there. I was just wondering, has anyone recieved offers from unis which they didn't submit their General GRE scores to? As it stands, I still haven't submitted General GRE scores to most of the unis I applied to, but I have recived an offer from one, even without it.

photomagnetic

Re: Has anyone been offered a place without the General GRE?

Postby photomagnetic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:30 pm

i dont think so, maybe domestics.

my verbal score is a bit low and 5-6 schools asked me why so.
it creates doubts in their minds. skype interviews/visiting school cleared the air.
general gre is bull tbh, when i start doing TA i'll give lectures in shakespearean english...

tweetie_brid

Postby tweetie_brid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm

I actually was verbally offered a spot if I applied without General or Pgre. They said they wanted me to take some upper level undergrad courses first though.

I was coming from a private catholic undergrad university, to an unranked small state school.

I took the general anyway , and will take the PGRE in april.

I wanted to put my best foot forward, and also maybe get some fellowhips.

tsymmetry

Postby tsymmetry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:38 pm

As long as you don't completely bomb it, as in get below maybe the 75% in quantitative and get a verbal score that suggests you may have problems with basic literacy, no one cares about the general GRE in physics. I have been told this by many different people and have actually seen data that shows pretty much no correlation between GRE scores and acceptance rates.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”