Diversity in Research Experience

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

pseudoscalar

Diversity in Research Experience

Post by pseudoscalar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this.
So I'm a student at a good LAC, and for the last two years have been doing research with this professor (mainly during the holidays), and it's worked out really well, resulting in a few papers. I really like working for him, and he's also been responsible for recommending me to win fellowships and stuff. I'm about to enter senior year and was wondering, would it hurt me if I keep working for him for a senior thesis? I'm worried about my transcript showing that I've worked with only two professors (this one and an REU somewhere else). Sure, the results have been good, but I heard that diversity of research experience can be important for grad school application. Is this true? I'm not that worried about LoRs, since I think even without working with another professor, I know several others pretty well enough for them to write decent letters for me (hopefully). So I'm mainly worried just about diversity of research.

bfollinprm

Re: Diversity in Research Experience

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:06 pm

I don't think you need worry about diversity. Your research experience is more than fine.

kev12592

Re: Diversity in Research Experience

Post by kev12592 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Your research experiences sound exactly like mine. I've worked with only one group at my home institution for 3 years and an REU somewhere else last summer. You can see my profile, but so far I've done fine getting into 3 graduate schools so I don't think it's any disadvantage. I think as long as you are doing good work and you are enjoying what you are doing then you should stick with it.