career guidance

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

abhishek9991

career guidance

Post by abhishek9991 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:50 am

Hey guys, i am a new user and really need your help on this.

I completed a 3 years BSc in physics in april 2013. However i am not at all satisfied with my preparation (the teachers at my college were hardly interested,yes that's the state of pure physics in my university!). I am planning to take a gap of a couple of years, indulging deeply in the subjects that i have learned so far and those which interest me and then pursue my masters. Is that ok or will that hamper my chances of pursuing grad studies in the future from,say, US. What do you think? I am 22 years old and interested in high energy physics/astrophysics.

bfollinprm

Re: career guidance

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:03 pm

taking a few years off won't hurt your chances, as long as you demonstrably use them productively.

abhishek9991

Post by abhishek9991 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:26 am

thank you!

jeffreyweee

Post by jeffreyweee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:22 pm

My suggestion would be to pursue your degree now. When you go to graduate school you "indulge deeply" in physics and have professors / other students to help you with motivation and difficulty.

abhishek9991

Post by abhishek9991 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Perhaps you are right, i am really thinking about it.
Could you please tell me if i can apply to grad schools in US with a 3 year BSc (i mean with all those GRE and other requirements). My undergraduate performance is above average and with a good physics GRE, will they accept me (at least the low ranked universities). Or is it that the 4 year BS degree (as in US) is an absolute requirement?

blighter

Post by blighter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 am

abhishek9991 wrote:Perhaps you are right, i am really thinking about it.
Could you please tell me if i can apply to grad schools in US with a 3 year BSc (i mean with all those GRE and other requirements). My undergraduate performance is above average and with a good physics GRE, will they accept me (at least the low ranked universities). Or is it that the 4 year BS degree (as in US) is an absolute requirement?
I know of a guy who got accepted into Stanford with a 3 year BSc. But he was from CMI. I guess lower ranked universities might accept you.