low masters gpa in theoretical physics.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Aragorn

low masters gpa in theoretical physics.

Post by Aragorn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi all,

I took my bachelor in physics with 3.07 gpa (ranked 3rd out of ten students) in an unknown university. I graduated master in theoretical physics(top 50 European university). Although, my master research was perfect (one publication in high ranked journal and proceeding paper), grades of my graduate physics courses were very low (below 3.00). It could be 2.62 or something like that.(I dont know my overall gpa and ranking in the class since there is no such concept I think).For example, The letter grades of courses such as Graduate level QM,Mathematical methods is E, quantum field theory is D according to ECTS grade scheme. I am currently a Phd student in some university in Turkey but my plan is to do Phd in U.S. My questions are that, Should I mention about the problem of low gpa in master studies in my SOP when applying to Phd programmes? and Do admissions committe think negatively, according to your experiences, about my application since I will quit Phd programme in my country(if I am admitted of course)?

Note: My physics gre is 810. But I will retake it in this autumn.My plan is to apply this fall again with higher gre general,physics and ielts, if possible :D

bfollinprm

Re: low masters gpa in theoretical physics.

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:29 pm

You might struggle to get accepted at most schools--they're going to expect at least a 3.0, since in most places around the US that's pretty easily achievable, especially in grad school. If that's an unreasonable expectation from your graduate institution, you should be sure that someone (a letter writer, for example) explains this to admissions committees that are unlikely to know much about Turkish institutions.