Chances for admission despite horrible first semester

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Ak4860

Chances for admission despite horrible first semester

Post by Ak4860 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 am

I did poorly my first semester ( I had an overall gpa of 1.8 and I withdrew from a course so I have a 'w') because my parents forced me into biology pre med and I gave up. I switched to physics and my last three semesters have been great. All A's and I'm involved in research. Will I be able to overcome that terrible first semester and be considered at top physics graduate programs if I continue doing well? By top I mean top 20, whatever that means to you. Thanks in advance for the advice I receive.

bfollinprm

Re: Chances for admission despite horrible first semester

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 am

yes.

Tom Joad

Re: Chances for admission despite horrible first semester

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 am

See this post by Grae313:
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 294&#p9294

Long story short, I dropped out of a shitty state school my second semester with a 1.4 GPA, came back two years later and got into Stanford, Berkeley, and Cornell.