PHD at Cambridge

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Salamino

PHD at Cambridge

Post by Salamino » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 am

HI all,
I am physics student at his last year in Italy. I'm in one of the very top schools in Italy and Europe(with very strong research). I was able to enter this school by a very hard test, similar to the physics olympiads. I was the typical top student that sometimes gets top grades and other times good grades(ex. 4.00 and another time 3.7-3.8).
But this last year I changed and I am working really hard. I am also working on my thesis(doing a good job), with praises from my advisor. Other professors during the years admitted that my thinking is really above the average student but that I should study more to get better grades.

Now, my advisor(a top scientist) wants to send me to Cambridge for a PHD(I didn't ask anything). He knows a guy there who is searching for top students. My advisor offered to write for me a letter. And when I said yes he was very, very happy to write a letter for me. I think that also another professor(a super top in the field) that knows me well made my name.

Now imagine, by absurd, that this professor at cam is interested in me and wants to do an interview. I haven't top grades. How can I make in front of him a good image to tell him that those grades aren't representing me? That I can complete in a top way the phd program at cam?

I am excited by his field and I really like do this kind of things... but how can I 'sell' myself better? I am sure to be able to complete the program in the best way with very good results.

Have you some advice?